Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:18 Mobile | Show all posts
The VERY best book I've ever read has to be -

1. Cormac McCarthy's ' Blood Meridian ' or ' The Evening Redness In The West ' .

2. Cormac McCarthy - The Border Trilogy , All The Pretty Horses , The Crossing , Cities Of The Plain .

3. Louis De Bernieres South American Trilogy - The War Of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts , Senor Vivo and The Coca Lord , The Troublesome Offspring Of Cardinal Guzman

4. David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas

5. David Mitchell - The Bone Clocks

6. Iris Murdoch - The Sea The Sea

7. Hilary Mantel - Wolf Hall , Bring Up The Bodies

8. Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum

9. Anthony Burgess - Earthly Powers

10. Aravind Adiga - The White Tiger

There are loads more , those are just a few that spring to mind .

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:19 Mobile | Show all posts
The book I have read 3 times, is "Misery", by Stephen King- I love it and will be reading it again at some point!!

Another book that I really enjoyed was, The Wasp Factory, by Iain Banks.

The Devil of Nanking and Pig Island by Mo Hayder, (which are her stand alone books), I thought they were brilliant.
I do also love her detective series, with Jack Caffery, which don't hide away from really dark subject matters.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:19 Mobile | Show all posts
I have every book that Iain Banks ever wrote as Iain Banks and around 6 which he wrote as Iain M Banks [ his Science Fiction novels , his middle name was ' Menzies '  ] - now , if you enjoyed ' The Wasp Factory ' you'll enjoy his other novels , the best of which [ in my opinion ] is ' Transition ' - the first book of his I ever read was ' Complicity ' [ another good one ] -
When he died in in June 2013 I had just come out of hospital where I'd come very close to death myself , I'd contracted sepsis and the Doctors in Paisley [ where I'd been flown to and where ' Espedair Street ' is set ] told my wife to prepare my Family for my passing , I was on a life support machine for over 3 weeks and hooked up to dialysis too [ my kidney , lungs and eventually my heart packed in ] - I was in hospital for 3 months and it took over 18 months to fully recover , learn to walk again etc etc and in that time I thought about life and death a lot - I'd seen the interview with Kirsty Wark and it had quite an effect on me - I bought every one of his books and decided that I'd savour them , I've not read them all , I was trying to leave the best till last so to speak thinking it could be ' The Wasp Factory ' or ' The Bridge ' [ Banks' personal favourite ] but although I had a 1st ed copy of The Wasp Factory at home on Skye I found a paperback copy in a charity shop in Elgin where we're living for 9 months while our son studies Drama so I succumbed early . Personally , I found it slightly disappointing [ he wrote it in his early 20s ] and in my opinion he's written better books but it's still a classic Banks novel .
I've still to read ' Walking On Glass ' , ' Canal Dreams ' and ' The Bridge ' , of the ones I have read I'd rate...

1. Transition .
2. The Crow Road .
3. Espedair Street .
4. Complicity .
Joint 5th
5. Dead Air
5. The Steep Approach To Garbadale .

I found ' Song Of Stone ' too depressing , Stonemouth is good as is Whit , The Business , I think he was just going through the motions and I'll forgive him The Quarry as he was ill when writing .

I'm Welsh by birth , grew up on Anglesey but I've lived in Scotland for the past 32 years , I love it up here , love the people and the way of life .

Here's that interview with Kirsty Wark if you're interested , he was a lovely lovely man was Iain Banks .

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:20 Mobile | Show all posts
I read most if not all of the Culture series, incredibly complex and everything fitted together.
Add believable characters plus consistently logical, no cop outs or short cuts.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:20 Mobile | Show all posts
I have around half a dozen Culture books , part of the reason I haven't read any of them is I thought I'd have to begin at the beginning [ would that be ' Consider Phlebas ' ? ] and because I'm a collector of books and tend to stick to hardback copies only I discovered I couldn't afford his first Sci Fi novel !    , daft I know , one day I'll have to buy a paperback copy and begin reading his Sci Fi books  .

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:21 Mobile | Show all posts
I have been out of the habit of reading books for a long time, mostly with moving around and some health issues.
This thread is making my page turning finger itchy.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Our permanent home is on Skye but we're renting a place just outside of Elgin for 9 months while our boy studies HNC Drama - he has Asperger's so needs a bit of support - I brought a few bags of books along with me to read but I still visit the occasional charity shop looking for a bargain - my wife counted my books around 5 years ago when rearranging the house , it was 3000  back then so it probably stands at around a few hundred more now .  
Sorry to hear about your health problems [ had a few myself  of late ] - just a matter of getting on with things and try not to let them upset you too much .

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Well I'm very glad to hear that you're now fully recovered as it sounds like it was a truly awful time for you all

Song of stone was the only other one I read and to be honest, I just didn't like it at all, so haven't, yet, read any of his others....

Is there another particular favourite of yours that I should try next?

Skye is beautiful btw- I used to spend a lot of time in a wee village near Kyle of Lochalsh when I was a child....
True Scottish wilderness and so incredibly beautiful....
I just couldn't bear the midges!!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Song Of Stone was quite depressing , was the second one of his I read [ either that one or Complicity ] - his  feel-good novels are ' The Crow Road ' , ' The Long Road To Garbadale ' ,  ' Stonemouth ' , ' Whit ' and ' The Quarry ' .
His best in my opinion is ' Transition ' which could actually be considered as one of his Sci Fi novels , it's a very well thought out story .

The sepsis happened in December 2012 until March 2013 - I was home 3 months before I discovered how close I'd come to dying , they had to revive me when my heart stopped for so long the Doctors told my wife that should I live I would suffer from permanent brain damage , but apart from a little memory loss I'm perfectly fine . It was my family who suffered most , I was totally unaware how ill I'd been [ well , I had an idea ! ] .

I worked on the Kyleakin Ferry from '88 - '95 - the village could be Balmacara or if going towards Plockton it could have been Erbusaig . We live in the south of Skye .

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部