Author: Cocksure

Best Books You have Read

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:04:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Its a book for adults with some very adult themes in places, theirs no sex, but it is a story with a military back ground.

Whilst Ender is special, so are the other kids. The basic story is that the military has setup training schools for all the exceptionally bright kids so as they can can be taught to be future leaders to lead the fight in the war against the Buggers (aliens). So its a story were all the kids are the type that would get an oxford degree at the age of 12 type of thing. As a result Ender doesn't think and talk like a kid would but instead as an adult does, so is naturally as a result smarter than the adults teaching him.

The story is about his time through the schools and his instructors/fellow class mates reaction to him. Naturally he is the one so not everyone likes him as a result.

Edit
If it helps it is one of the very few books i have ever read where i decided reading the next page was more important than going to bed!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:04:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Then move onto the sequel (Ender's Shadow), in my opinion better partly because it can build on the first and thus focus more on one character.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
should i be worried the film wasn't up to much?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
No.  Although I don't know if the book will have the same impact if you already know the story from the film.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:04:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Film isnt a patch on the book so dont worry about that. I watch the film 1st then read the book, you may know the twist at the end now, but their is so much more in the book that is missed out in the film such as the brother and sister who play a far bigger part or the reasoning and explanations for the things ender does that could never be covered in a film (such as what he thinks)

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:00 Mobile | Show all posts
The Martian - read the book before the film - great book - brilliant.

Ready Player One - will be interesting to see how it will be adapted to a film - it could kickstart the virtual reality revolution.

Moved onto Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson afterwards but have stalled two thirds of the way through. It seemed to be trying too hard to be clever and I didn't get on with the author's style. It is highly rated so I will finish it.

Listened to Fear the Sky by Stephen Moss via audible - a really great book about an advance Alien landing party before an invasion of Earth. Hard to say too much without revealing the plot but a sophisticated book both in terms of military and scientific accuracy. Raises some interesting ethical themes for both us and the Aliens. Great narration by R C Bray on audible. I'm onto the sequel now Fear the Survivors.

I have also picked up The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Also have Storm Front by Jim Butcher - the first in the series which seems to be well liked. Also Arisen Omnibus - a post apocalyptic series.

Have almost bought Book 1 of The Dark Tower Series many times given that the film is coming. I see it is mentioned here a few times here which is a good sign.

I have Enders Game to read - good to hear it so highly recommended. Will get on with that as I do much prefer sci-fi to fantasy.

One from the past = Honourable mention for Red Storm Rising - that was a book !

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I was wondering for a minute if I'd written your post Supersportbilly and just forgotten I'd done it. We've read the same books and I'm also listening to Fear the Survivors on audiobook at the moment. Really great series so far.

Loved the Martian and Ready Player One is one of my favourites now.

Read Snowcrash, I enjoyed it but Yes the style takes some getting used to.

You'll love The Name of the Wind. Another one of my all time favourite books, you'll be waiting for the 3rd book then like the rest of us.

I'll check out Red Storm Rising. I have read some Tom Clancy.

Have you read Rendezvous with Rama? Excellent Sci-fi book. Really gets you thinking.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I recently enjoyed The Synchronicity War, which was available through my Kindle Unlimited subscription on Amazon.  I can't say it's the best sci fi I've ever read, but the author cleverly kept introducing new elements into the story which made it evolve and stay interesting throughout the four books.  It's worth a try, particularly if you have the subscription and can read it for free.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Any new recommendations for best books or series. Since last year I've read The count of monte cristo, dragon tattoo series and Red Storm Rising all recommended in this thread. All great books.

Best book for me over the last year is probably I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes

Not sure what to read next really

Use magic Report

You might like David Webber's work:
Official Home Page || David Weber

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部