Author: Cocksure

Best Books You have Read

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:03 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm due a re-read as well. I must have read them all about 15 times since the late 80's

Don't forget Polgara the Sorceress as well

Enjoy
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Must be good then!

To be quite honest, I'm not sure I like Polgaras' character enough to read her backstory , but we'll see if that changes!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I'd read the two x 5 book series first , then see if you want to read it. You probably will (and thats the best order to read them anyway)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Yeah you're probably right.

I can't decide whether reading belgarath first was better or worse than starting with belgariad, as I know about things that I obviously shouldn't know yet, but overall I think I prefer that.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:04 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but one of my favourite books is by an author called Mary Doria Russell, the book is called The Sparrow.
After about 10 years of not reading a book this book re-ignited my interest in reading.

Another book I really enjoyed was a book by James Frey: The final testament of the Holy Bible. It is NOT a religious book and I don't recommend easily offended/religious people read it as some people will find the premise very offensive.

I'm also a fan of Warhammer (and 40k) books, Horus Heresy are mostly very good but my absolute favourite in the Warhammer series is by Steve Lyons and it's called Death World.

Anything by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

The Wess'har wars series by Karen Traviss are also well worth reading.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:04 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm also a Warhammer 40K fan and I especially enjoy books about Ciaphas Cain. Because in the grim darkness of the future we could use some humor.

My favorite Horus Heresy novel is Flight of the Eisenstein.

Outside of 40K, I recommend the Darwath Trilogy by Barbara Hambly.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:05 Mobile | Show all posts
The flight of the Eisenstein is a very good Horus Heresy book. How many have you read? I've got something like 40  of the books on my Kindle
My favourite Horus Heresy book is probably the most maligned: Descent of Angels, Loyalty and Honour. I love the start of the book, pre Imperium. That they live on a Death World that is tainted by Chaos and the Knightly orders that are the pre-cursors to the Dark Angels, it goes to show how tough the chapters fore bears must have been to survive.
I'm hoping that they add some Grey Knights books to the Horus Heresy as they are my favourite chapter followed closely by the Dark Angels and Blood Angels.

I'll have a look at the books you mentioned.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:06 Mobile | Show all posts
I have to check, there's a lot that I didn't count. But I do know that for the Horus Heresy I have from Horus Rising until Old Earth. I got all the Ciaphas Cain books, Gaunt's Ghosts, The Beast Arises and books from the various Space Marine chapters.

I like the Grey Knights too, not much love for Kaldor Draigo, Alaric is better.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Yep, Alaric is definitely the more interesting.
I discovered 40k quite late, about 5 years ago roughly. I was looking for a book in Waterstones and saw a really cool picture on the front of a book, it turned out that it is the Grey Knights omnibus, it is my first Warhammer book ever.... it has lead me to spending far too much on books makes me thankful for my Kindle!
I recently started reading reading the Warhammer chronicles, The Rise of Nagash and The Legend of Sigmar. Both very good books but I find the Warhammer books a lot harder to read vs 40K books which is a bit strange considering they are written by the same people.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:08 Mobile | Show all posts
My first 40K book was The Last Chancers omnibus and was quickly followed by Gaunt's Ghosts The Founding omnibus. I thought Gaunt was the coolest commissar in the 40k universe, that is until I met Ciaphas Cain in Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium. The Grey Knights omnibus was the 4th  book I got until i realized I will need a library to have every Warhammer and 40K book. So I got ebooks instead.

I'm a little confused about the Grey Knights though because they mindwipe or execute anyone who has dealings with their Chapter but in the Grey Knights omnibus there is no mention that the Arbites and the Sisters of Battle they fought alongside with were dealt with. This is the same with the Excoriators in Legion of the Damned as they were aware of a Grey Knights garrison that could possibly help them if they were just willing to leave their post for a bit. So I guess the Grey Knights are an open secret?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部