Author: leeb-1977

Tom Cain, Lee Child..... anyone else simlar??

[Copy link]
25-11-2019 04:16:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it - only a 10th of the way in or so, but still want to read it.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:16:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Anyone read any Andrew Peterson's Nathan McBride books if so any good?
Link in Kindle 99p-£1.99 thread to some offers on his books.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:16:02 Mobile | Show all posts
I've seen them before but again it seems to be just another series the same as nearly every other one out there.

Read the description of any of these books and swap the main characters name from one series to the other and you would not notice

This genre of books really needs a shake up, Andy McNab with remote control and Lee Child with his first Reacher books freshened things up in the late 90s but both have had peaks and troughs where other authors have tried  to take advantage. Just look at the covers ! Even the Cole and Pike books which predate Reacher by 10 years have had the covers changed to emulate the "reacher" genre. It's the book equivalent of having the lead actor look mean and hold gun on a movie poster

I've deleted a shed load of books from Kindle due to this. If I stopped reading a book for a week and returned to its I'd have to check cover / description to see which chiseled / hardened / troubled / loveable hero it was supposed to feature

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:16:03 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm reading the second in the John Puller series and enjoying it more than the first can see a similarity with the first Lee Child book.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:16:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Just reading the tenth John Milton book by Mark Dawson. I've heard John Milton described as the British Jack Reacher.

Also try the Andy Maslen Gabriel Wolfe books.

Both highly recommended.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:16:04 Mobile | Show all posts
View attachment 831990

That's my current "to read" list in my Kindle

Have just finished the second Cole / Pike book by Robert Crais, and enjoyed it as I did the first but they are quick and easy reads and not something I could read one after the other

Currently on "the girl before" which is touted as the next "girl" book following gone girl and girl on the train. Now the girl on the train is one of the best books I have read and the girl before is so far just as gripping and just as good. Don't let the "girl" thing put you off, they are compelling reads and no way "chick lit"

I'm trying to steer myself away from the "lone gruff troubleshooting hero" as found the genre a bit stale of late, but want to give power down a go as by all accounts has more of an ensemble cast akin to the Tom Clancy books. Also Dead Lock I found I had purchased years ago after reading lock down and whilst it's another in the "reacher" genre I remember it being a little different.

I know next to nothing about slow horses, stumbled on it via a good reads recommendation and after reading reviews looks like it could be something a little different.

Relic is something I have wanted to read for years and hopefully can give me a new easy to read series to duck in and out of

The rats is a book I have read before, I'm a big lover of Herbert, but haven't read as much as would like so plan on trying to read all his stuff. As side note "48" by Herbert is probably in my top 5 books.

The kill clause is there as I really enjoyed orphan x and nowhere man by the same author. Both books where again in the lone hero "reacher" genre but more action focused and a little "bruckhiemer" in style. Enjoyable reads and I'm looking forward to another of his series.

The star trek novels are something I like to return to, often as a palette cleanser. The original paperback novels along with the star wars expanded series are the books that got me back into reading in my teens. I managed to get the first 40 or so pocket books off eBay for 15 quid couple weeks ago after mine where donated to charity shop years back

Quite ugly one morning will possibly be the next to be read. Remember reading previous brookmyre novels and loving them and heard nothing but good things of this.

The colour of magic has been sat, unread, in one format or another, for years, hardback, paperback, Kindle, I've just never managed to get past the first few pages but seeing as it's so highly rated and everyone says I should like it I'm waiting to give it a go

The Sherlock Holmes stories are there again as something to drop in and out of and always a good read.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:16:05 Mobile | Show all posts
I dropped the John Puller book as I saw First to Kill on Amazon for a £1 and saw some more of the same character and books at £1 and thought I give it a good read that day before they went up in price to decide if I bought the others, and although not as far in as the John Puller book, I got gripped and just finished it taking a week which fastest I read for a fair while.
I don't know how much in the Jack Reacher mold the book is, as I've only read the first one(JR that is), but although a big man and can fight with the best he primary a sniper and in this brought in to help the FBI.
For £1 a found it very good value and look forwards to reading the others in the series which I just looked and all his others are still the same price still.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:16:06 Mobile | Show all posts
I have just tried to read "No Middle Name" - The Complete Jack Reacher stories, by Lee Child
I just had to give up.  I have mentioned before my issues with these type of books, the lone, gruff hero, just being hard as nails and immortal, but Lee Child has, with the odd exception, always seemed to have kept Reacher as grounded

However, once I got past the first short story, which was not bad and could easily have stretched into a full novel, I got onto the adventures of "Young Reacher" and it felt like my teenage self had written them, and thats not a compliment.

Young Reacher is as hard and as clever as old Reacher, in fact he displays Batman levels of deduction and fighting skills.  It, to me, seemed far too much.  Jack is able to solve two mysteries at once, one at least holding as much logic as if Ted Rogers was reading it out on a Saturday night.

I just about managed to get through this story, but then moving onto the next, it may have been too much, too soon, as the next story just felt so much the same as everything else

Its ironic, that the author who was largely responsible for me getting back into reading as an adult happens to be the first author I have ever returned to Amazon for a refund

Ive mentioned before, but I think my time with these sort of books is coming to an end,

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:16:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Anyone ever tried the James Rollins Sigma Force series ? I've just gone through all 12 books on a combo of ebook and audio.
A decent blend of thriller, science, history and action based around a team of DARPA ex special forces scientists. Like a cross between Dan Brown, Lee Child and Indiana Jones.
Well worth a read and the early books are a decent price.
I started a couple of months ago and haven't been able to put them down.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:16:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Bump and subscribed.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules