Author: Jean Valjean

The Graphic Novels / Comic Books thread

[Copy link]
25-11-2019 04:43:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Just make sure the Punisher stuff you get is Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon

Also take a look at Y The last Man for post apocolyptic story, thats really good so far (I am on GN5) and is around 10 GN long.

The Boys is brilliant, and take allok at Hitman, just finished reading through all these myself recently. Yes it has superheroes in it (sort of) but its mostly demon/devil and lots and lots and lots of violence.

Hitman: Rage in Arkham v. 1: Amazon.co.uk: Garth Ennis, John McCrea: Books
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:43:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the heads up on that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(Icon_Comics)

...may be popping down to the Planet....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:43:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Not out yet - Amazon says end September, but Wiki says Jan '11...

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:43:31 Mobile | Show all posts
I meant the individual comics - 1 and 2 are out, and possibly 3? It can only be a 4 or 6 issue mini based on 112 page gn.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:43:32 Mobile | Show all posts
I picked up watchman brand new for the same out of the cheap book shop in the Norwich (book sale or something like that, I know its a chain). I drop in every so often to see what they have as their stock rotates quick.

I think some of the magic of the artwork is lost in the digital form. It more than likely can show the detail just as well (especially with Retina display) but brushing your hand over the paper and the smell of the ink all adds to the joy of the graphic novel.

I did get Wanted off ebay cheap as well, that was fantastic and far better then the film, the same with V for Vendetta. Got given a copy of Dante's Inferno (based on the EA game) and was very happy with it. Beautiful artwork and a moderately good adaptation of the poem.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:43:33 Mobile | Show all posts
There is no comparison between the iPad and the real thing - see my thread here where I have some original Daredevils from the 60's. You are correct, the smell, the feel, the act of taking them out of a bag and digging in a cupboard to get them in the first place is all part of it.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/books-literature/1289140-its-all-well-good-having-ipad-comics.html

Sadly you cant buy Daredevil from that era in Digital form to compare but the GiTCORP Fantastic Four, X-Men, SpiderMan and Iron Man I have would cost a fortune to buy in GN form and take up a huge amount of space, and so are an excellent substitute. Should I suddenly win the lottery and be able to buy everything I have in Digital form as the real thing, then things would change...

I did nearly tempt HillSkill to buy an iPad though when I showed him the iPad in full comic mode

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:43:33 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:43:34 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree and disagree in equal measure. As someone who is late getting (back) into comics I feel no sentimentality towards originals etc. To me the convenience of digital delivery and the fact you could have a HUGE collection on a HDD without the need for building an extension for a long box room.
Stuart very very nearly convinced me to take the plunge as the quality of the comics on his iPad were excellent. To me even the old classics still managed to capture the grainy feel/look of the originals. Of course nothing beats an actual book in your hand but its a perfectly enjoyable experience. In the end I decided to get a MBP instead as I really need the full functionality of OSX. I was also wary of a few reviews which point to the weight of the iPad making reading a very fatiguing experience. New versions that are little lighter might be enough to push me over the line but even then I would find it hard to justify bringing an iPad in to the house alongside 4 consoles, an iMac, a MBP and a gaming PC built by me. My missus gives me a lot of license to buy crap but I think she will defo fail to see the point of an iPad. I tried to flog the idea of it being the ideal way to read Vampire Werewolf Human love triangles but not even that could convince her !

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:43:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Just looked on wikipedia about the civil war comics.

The reading list for it is mental. Do you need to follow that list or could i just read the civil war comics and still understand the story?

Also what about marvel zombies. It seems pretty easy to follow as the book go in order except from these 2:

Marvel Zombies: return
Marvel Zombies: Dead days

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:43:36 Mobile | Show all posts
You can read JUST the Civil War books and its all ok. The other 100  issues are tiny side things or just fluff to justify people buying comics about the silly B cast x-teams.

I have read about half of the whole arc, and the only thing that sticks in my mind is the Spiderman stuff for more of a backstory, and the Wolverine arc as he hunts whassname who caused the explosion.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部