View: 2993|Reply: 179

The Graphic Novels / Comic Books thread

[Copy link]
25-11-2019 04:42:49 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Not sure if there is already a thread.
I've started taking an interest in graphic novels / comic books.
Before the film Watchmen was finally released I was bought a copy of the graphic novel which I enjoyed more then the film.
Now after watching Kick-Ass and looking forward to Scott Pilgrim Vs The World I'm looking at buying the paper or iphone/ipad versions. Also The Killing Joke.
Also have a free copy of ep 1 of The Walking Dead which has made me want to go out and buy the other volumes.
So I'll start apart from what I've mentioned what else is a good read.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:42:50 Mobile | Show all posts
The Walking Dead is absolutely brilliant - stick with it, you won't be disappointed. The Killing Joke is an essential Batman purchase also.

Some of my other personal favourites are:

Preacher
Transmetropolitan
Y: The Last Man
The Boys
Sin City
DMZ
100 Bullets
Planetary
Garth Ennis' run on Punisher (Marvel Knights and Max series)
Batman: essential reading (IMO) - Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, A Death in the Family, Knightfall, The Long Halloween   Dark Victory, Hush, The Man Who Laughs, Joker.

'Tis an expensive hobby, but you do get value for money - when they're good you won't mind reading them over and over.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It's hard to say what anyone will like it's best for people to just try various comics and see which appeals to them, some people will enjoy anything, some people only enjoy oneb of two certain heroes.

It's worth trying out the bigger names - the llikes of Batman, Superman, Iron Man, X-Men - Basically the ones which have had movie adaptations - people generally seem to settle in with these best, once you start getting into these you will stumble across comics which bring in other heroes, then you might look for their comics etc, once you get the ball rolling you will generally find yourself wanting to read more and more comics and find out more about different heroes.

The list above is looking good.

I would certainly get a copy of Batman - Year One, see if you enjoy that.

Once you get into these things you will then see what kind of things you enjoy in regards to comics - the style and feel of them, once you get that it's a lot easier to get recommendations of what you might enjoy.

As my avatar shows I'm a huge fan of the Flash - a lot of people will stumble across him if they like Superman and find themselves a copy of Superman vs The Flash. As I say, many comics link to other ones

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Mark Millar (Civil War, Kick Ass) has also written a limited series called Nemesis (details here, but be warned, there's some language in the description!). It's a sound principle, and I'm intrigued, but not sure whether to pick up the monthlies or wait for the graphic novel...

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:42:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Or if you want Comics that have nothing to do with Superheroes, then try Groo the Wanderer (my avatar) Bone or Strangers in Paradise.

All of the above are excellent choices as well:

Sandman
Preacher
Batman Year One
Batman Long Halloween
Killing Joke
Daredevil Yellow
Civil War
Ultimates
Y the Last Man
Walking Dead
Watchman
Camelot 3000
Electra Assassin (Miller and Sinkeivich)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The best Flash (Barry Allen) has had a rebith and is getting very good reviews.

Flash: Rebirth: Amazon.co.uk: Geoff Johns, Ethan Van Sciver: Books

Jonah Hex is also good there plenty of graphic of him.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
After picking up The Walking Dead Vol 1 I'm totally converted after lurking in Graphic Novel aisles for ages. I dunno whether to buy the Compilation 1 of Walking Dead or instead buy the individual volumes. Also,  a mate at work has promised to bring in 100 Bullets for me after raving about it.

Use magic Report

I have gone for the small graphic novel versions of Walking Dead. I am so whassname about books that it would do me in to have a Compliation that covered 10 books, and then they only release different sized versions to finish things off.

EDit: And a  1 on the 100 Bullets.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Just bagged Watchmen for 4quid on ebay Was hoping that 2nd hand books would be cheaper on ebay but as far as Graphic Novels go they either massively hold their price or online sellers are being greedy!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:42:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Just started Y: The Last Man Vol 1. Loving it so far.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部