Author: EarthRod

Keeping up with the latest Brexit News

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:44:44 Mobile | Show all posts
I am also very interested to hear this. But not here, f2f over a beer. Cause here he can just copy whatever crap someone else wrote.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Are you here to actually discuss or just looking for a fight? Because to me you really come across as the latter in a super arrogant way as well.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I am here to discuss and able to bring some arguments. But when you troll us with a “we’ll figure it out later” I realised this is a venting thread and you do not take anything I posted with links and arguments seriously. Dis you read my first post on this thread 1-2 pages back?

Saying something like that makes me have no followup at all. I’m out!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
You sound fairly confident of passing this test yourself, personally I think you'd be rather disappointed with the outcome if we ever go down this route.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:44:45 Mobile | Show all posts
I am not sure I would pass it, but it would serve me right! Better read up and do my homework for the next vote?

Use magic Report

QUOTED POST MOD DELETED

Blimey, what was I saying? Please don't judge me by your standards, it isn't just not true but it really doesn't add anything to this thread.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
He might be thick as bricks but I bet he knows all of the words to the 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn' song!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:44:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Exactly.

There are people out there who are much more intelligent than I, so it's much easier and simpler to read and copy from memory their words from various websites rather than try and formulate or parse a sentence or two myself. Especially with something like 'sovereignty'.

Go to school and college and read books someone else wrote, listen to lecturers given by someone and spoken in a language I understand but other people in the past evolved. Post up on a forum someone else devised and typing on a laptop designed and manufactured by other people, lit by a light bulb and in the warmth and comfort of a house built by other people.

Strange old life.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:44:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I fully agree that there will be generalisations on both sides, along with a mix of following peers and also stupidity.  Personally, I voted to Remain for a few reasons;  

Firstly, in a selfish way, I've never felt the huge negativity as a result of the UK being a member of the EU.  I work for a global manufacturing organisation that has its' Corporate history split as Anglo-Dutch and has done for the last 125 years so have always benefited from simple trade across borders.  I like to pay my mortgage, so it stands to reason that the company who employ me need to continue to make profits.  We've already had cascades from our CEO suggesting that leaving the EU could have a large (still relatively unknown) impact on the way the company operates.

Secondly, I still struggle to understand what benefits we as a country will gain.  I've read a cross-spectrum of news/reports/investigations from both sides of the argument and, whilst Remain is the "better the devil you know" approach, the Leave benefits still seem vague.  UK Sovereignty isn't something I've ever (personally) felt is something diminished by EU membership and I personally don't have a huge amount of faith in our Government to do any better when they're on their own!

Finally, whilst I've traveled to countries around the world where I needed to apply for visas (USA, India, Indonesia, Australia), it's considerably simpler, and therefore one less hassle, to use the freedom of travel within the EU borders.  Again, this is a selfish reason as it means my family can enjoy easier, cheaper, travel within the EU but I'd like to enjoy it as much as I can.

We are very lucky in the UK that we live in a democratic society and are given the freedom of choice on many things.  However, the more I see of the 'team' assembled to negotiate the UK's withdrawal from the EU, the more I think we're making a massive mistake that will have repercussions for years to come.  I'm all for taking risks when your heart leads you but they should still only be taken when there's a clear goal.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:44:46 Mobile | Show all posts
How do you know people are blindly calling for it? How can you claim to know all the details of people's lives?

The EU dictates taxation in many areas.

There has to be a tax on energy use. You couldn't make pensioners exempt from paying tax on heating even if you want to.

It controls tax on fuel. You can't reduce tax on fuel in rural garages. People in rural garages need a garage as it can be their supermarket and because otherwise they might have to drive miles to fill up. If you wanted to help out rural garages by having them set less tax on fuel and have more money to stay in business you can't.

VAT is governed by EU and the upper and lower rates it is set at. The UK can't voluntarily remove VAT on tampons.

The UK couldn't individually have stronger regulations on children's clothing regarded as fancy dress regarding being fire proof. Fancy dress clothes were regarded as toys.

To bring about any kind of change required a long process of being agreed by all member states. A countries sovereign government can change things incredibly rapidly if necessary.

The UK government is directly accountable to its people. As a result some things brought in in a budget were scrapped in less than 24 hours. A UK government is very aware it can be voted out.

When we leave, the current UK proposal regarding our farming is that farmers will have to be more eco friendly to continue to get subsidys. Something those on the environment side have pushed for for years and never happened. In the past France blocked any such proposal as their farmers used to spray merde round Paris to prevent it happening.

Want more?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部