Author: EarthRod

Keeping up with the latest Brexit News

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:44:48 Mobile | Show all posts
The point being, if we aren't happy with the way our Government are doing things, we can vote them out within five years. Maybe if we could do the same with the EU commissioners, there wouldn't be such an issue.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:44:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Rather than just read the quote you chose, I've just read the whole article which actually paints a more positive picture than just the issue of local rent/availability.  Rather than selecting a paragraph to fit a narrative, it's much more informative to read the entire article.  However, to follow the same paraphrasing, the final paragraph says a lot;

"Boston has been transformed by the expansion of the European Union to the east.

The pretty little town is energetic and bustling, but is visibly not the same place as it was. A UKIP councillor Viven Edge, told us that Boston had lost some of its "Lincolnshireness"."

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:44:49 Mobile | Show all posts
Please show me where I have said that.

Leaving the EU means the government is directly accountable to us.

If something happens, kid gets burned, rural petrol stations closing, pensioners can't afford heating, then if there is sufficient votes in it then the government can change the law or a party can put it in a manifesto and if elected then bring it in. A sovereign country can change laws. An EU country has to obey EU rules.
Done after Labour left the country with a huge debt.

Note a sovereign country could raise VAT to 25p and reduce income tax proportionally.

Nope. A sovereign country can alter VAT. I've never said it would happen. Please read the posts. A sovereign country has the flexibility.

A government directly answerable to the voters will do what it takes to get votes. Removing VAT won't be successful if the result is the economy crashes.
The UK government has been trying for years to bring in tougher regulations. As a member of the EU it had to go by EU rules. Under EU rules fancy dress costumes were classed as toys rather than clothing. Outside the EU the lot could be changed tomorrow.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Perhaps you should read about the effect on individual people.

You get a low wage. You can't get more as there's a huge influx of migrants who will do it if you won't.

You can't get a place as landlords would rather convert houses to multiple occupancy and get more money.

You want to have a place and a family. You never will. Which way will you vote?

Yes the town might be bustling with lots of new migrants and Polish food shops.

What about ordinary people?

Problem is to many people higher up the chain benefited. People owning property made more from renting out.

Big business benefited from cheap labour. Migrants benefited from working here and sending money home where the money went further.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Focusing on the VAT charged, as that's something that could be changed by the UK Government tomorrow if they really wanted to, why do you think it hasn't been dropped to 15%?  It's clearly not because the EU forces our Government so is it more because of the state of our economy?  Once we leave the EU, there's a chance that our economy will suffer due to uncertainty in the value of the pound (as already seen and shown in the UK boating industry article you linked to) so the Government will still be unlikely to reduce VAT.  

My point is, whilst you feel that it's the fault of the EU, maybe there are bigger forces outside of our membership preventing things like a drop in the VAT level, like balancing our books?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Leaving the EU won't stop immigration, whatever people are hoping and believing.  The UK Government will still allow immigration as big businesses (the ones who actually fund Governments) will still demand them.  What did the people of Lincolnshire do before migrants came and picked the fruit and veg?  I assume they received slightly higher low wages and the rich land owners still stayed rich off the back of them.  

Maybe the anger should be directed at those controlling the flow of wages rather than those willing to work for slightly less?  I realise that's a contentious statement but once the UK leaves the EU and the pound is worth a fraction of what it was 5 years ago, migrant workers will go to another country for seasonal work which will allow the local people to take back their low paid fruit picking jobs and all will be happy again. (sarcasm)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:44:50 Mobile | Show all posts
What I am aware of is that you are quite selective in your outlaying the truth: so on this particular point you agree with me people have made highly uninformed decisions believing the writing on the bus instead of checking the very branch they were cutting below their feet? What you call that if NOT stupidity?

And here you go, just a page with the EU commission debunking most of the myths circulated in the media with facts: European Commission in the UK - European Commission

Yes, it does include tampons and size of bananas.
My personal favorite: Sex toys – Women to be forced to hand in old sex toys, Feb 2004

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Here you go, a good read to your question on who did the work "before": Who picked British fruit and veg before migrant workers?

(there was a better article I came upon recently but I have to look through my FB wall to find it)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Not bananas again...    

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits