Author: Sonic67

Markov/Litvinenko 2.0

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:18:46 Mobile | Show all posts
After listening to his response at PMQs, it seems Corbyn and his front bench is at odds with the rest of the Labour Party. He wants to believe the nerve agent was not from the Russian State.
Ken Clark was good,he said that Russia used the nerve agent as a signature of the State to send a message to other Russians abroad.
Yvette Cooper was good as well and reading between the lines, she had no respect for Corbyn's comments or position.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
And giving these suspected spies only seven days to leave the country, ouch, bet Putin is quaking in his underpants.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
If Ofcom close RT as a further measure, Corbyn might be out of a job?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Once upon a time it was widely acknowledged with the chaotic fall of the Soviet Union there was a danger of weapons going missing and then falling into the wrong hands. 8 years Uzbekistan had former Soviet Nukus chemical weapon factory which produced  ''Novichok,'' before it properly  began to deal with it, 8 years is long time to have items dissappear!
U.S. and Uzbeks Agree on Chemical Arms Plant Cleanup

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:18:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Reading these posts anyone would think Labour are in power and Jeremy the Prime Minister.

No mention about what Theresa is doing (or not doing) or thoughts regarding the current government's decisions (or lack of them).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Look at it in the context of Iraq, Corbyn is likely suspicious of the spooks assessment due to the WMD claim that turned out not to be correct. He asked pertinent questions that needed to be asked, so served the purpose of opposition leader. Personally I'm waiting to see what the evidence is (which will either embarrass Corbyn or not). The steps May's taken are the only ones she can take for the moment. I doubt Europe is going to risk it's gas supply from Russia unless there is concrete evidence that this was state sponsored and sanctioned by Putin or those around him. I expect the Evidence will be presented to our allies so they can do their own assessments. The crucial aspect of this attack is how the nerve agent got into the UK. Was it unwittingly carried into the country by the former spy's daughter or was it Russian intelligence officers posing as diplomats who smuggled it in etc. If you can answer that, then you'll know if it was ordered by Putin and co or by somebody else. Even if Putin didn't order this, it should come as no surprise that he's using it to his advantage. Muddies the waters at any rate.  

If it was ordered by Putin (and it likely was) then it sends several messages -
1. To those contemplating crossing Putin within Russia who might be tempted to engage with other countries intelligence agencies - Do that and this is what happens even if you flee Russia.
2. Sending a message to those who might have been involved in Russia's election interference in the US from talking to Mueller's investigation. I believe there have been a spate of suspicious deaths in the US in recent times.
3. To stir up Russian Nationalism to shore up Putin's position. The sanctions that are already in place are having a devastating impact on ordinary Russians. They might not like Putin, but they will probably support him. Further sanctions might well have the opposite effect and cause Putin no damage in terms of keeping his tight grip on power.

It's also I feel a test of how strong our alliances are with the US, EU and NATO. You have to remember that Putin's goal does appear to be to destroy NATO and undermine the EU so he can regain the influence Russia lost at the end of the Cold War.   

Cooper has never agreed with Corbyn on anything, so what she said today should come as no big surprise. I think she's got the measure of the situation better than Corbyn.

Use the link I posted earlier and you'll see Corbyn is not short of a bob or two. But from what I saw at a glance there were no donations to Corbyn from Russians sources.

Use magic Report

I'm being cautious as we might look daft it turns out this wasn't anything to do with Russia (a slim possibility). What you have to keep in mind is that for a few years, stockpiles of Soviet Nerve Agents were not secure in various former Soviet controlled states. So the other way to look at this is that somebody with a grudge against the former spy could have the access and means to deploy a nerve agent. It wasn't a very clinical attack, which you can either say is Putin doesn't care about the efficiency of the attack he just wants to send a message or somebody with a grudge operating outside of Putin's control carried it out. Either way Putin won't pass up an opportunity like this to test the West's resolve. For those attacking Corbyn over his question about sending Russia samples ? That's down in the Chemical Weapons Treaty. Which both countries are signed upto, we will no doubt be sending the evidence to the organisation that oversees the treaty. So Russia will get the evidence at some point down the line. Withholding Evidence merely means Russia can keep spinning it's current narrative of events.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Probably a withdraw from the world cup finals.  Either way I would not want to be visiting Russia as an English football fan.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:18:48 Mobile | Show all posts
In the past these events were kept under wraps, decisions make quietly by cabinet and top-level security and actions taken. Done and dusted then move on.

This government has decided to make a big deal over this and all under worldwide scrutiny.

I wish Westminster politicians all the best in carrying out their public manoeuvers and international political point scoring and hope they know what they are doing.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 00:18:48 Mobile | Show all posts
23 Russian diplomats to expelled from the country.  They will be shaken,if not stirred.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部