Author: Sonic67

When the going gets tough....

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:46:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Presumably he knew about armed officers at the gate, but who knows.

This is what the inquest is for, so rather than speculating without knowing the full evidence, maybe we should wait for the outcome of this review?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 01:46:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Which didn't happen.

There were two firearms officers on duty. They didn't know what they were supposed to do. See below.

They ran to the crashed car.

If I was a terrorist, my plan would be, create a distraction, people run to it, the way is clear to get in. Exactly what did happen. No matter what's going on you are meant to stay at your post.

I'm assuming in London car crashes happen all the time and there's enough 'outside the wire' to deal with that.

Also didn't happen.

By chance, Sir Michael Fallon's armed protection officers were at the members entrance. They rushed forward and they shot Masood.

If they hadn't been there, and another day they wouldn't have been, Masood might have got in. Might have, other things might have happened, maybe a civilian might have tackled Masood. Maybe the armed firearms officers on duty might have come back, but one of the points about the enquiry was it wasn't instilled into them exactly what their roles were.

Westminster security 'failed' stabbed PC

PC Ashby said he was responsible for patrolling "sector three" of the courtyard, which included the Members' Entrance, Carriage Gates and College Green.

The court heard that the most recent instructions for New Palace Yard dated from 2015 and ordered them to focus on the Carriage Gates.

But PC Ashby told the Old Bailey he had never seen the up-to-date "post instructions" for where to be stationed and that officers worked from a map posted on a wall that dated from 2012.

An email chain, which included the chief inspector of operations for the palace, Nick Aldworth, revealed concerns had been raised over the positioning of armed officers as early as February 2015.

Mr Adamson suggested it was an "extraordinary situation" where armed officers "had no idea what they were supposed to be doing" and that "lax" security arrangements had persisted for years.

Exactly. And there has been some major failings. What if there had been more than one? What if he was armed? Why wasn't there more than two armed officers to cover a fairly large area? What about someone armed at the gate?

As for Mackey, even if his answer was to lock himself in the car, in the aftermath he still could have done more. Got out after, go to PC Palmer, coordinate an ambulance, coordinate emergency services, at least make sure his own bloke was covered and taken away with respect. There may have been a further attack, he is still a policeman, he's literally seen a crime happen in front of him. Show some leadership in the aftermath.

He left the scene and said he didn't have the proper equipment with him. No radio? Get on a phone and use it. I'm assuming at least someone had a phone.

Here's an incident lasting 9 seconds, police had no kit, they left the scene and they were disciplined. One sacked and three others disciplined.

PC sacked for not helping store guard

A police officer has been sacked and three others disciplined after they failed to help a security guard struggling with a violent thief.

They were all yards away from security guard Shaun Rigby as he apprehended Roy Fagan, 31, a shoplifter. Fagan later admitted assault and stealing £4.62 of whisky.

The interaction between the officers and Mr Markey was said to have lasted nine seconds.

PC Webb said he did not realise the seriousness of the situation, and told the man he did not have the correct kit, and to call the police later.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Let the inquest do it's job. Or do you have insider knowledge that you already know the outcome of the review?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I am. This is from the inquest.
No, I'm following what's being said.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Which was announced back in July...  Although it could be argued he knew the inquest was coming up and would be uncomfortable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Yep. Announced in July. Though he was praised for his leadership.

Met's Deputy Commissioner announces his retirement after more than 34 years' service

Home Secretary Sajid Javid said: “Sir Craig has been a committed leader within the Metropolitan Police during one of the most testing times in London’s history.

“He displayed fortitude and leadership as Acting Commissioner during the 2017 Westminster attack and I want to personally thank him for his service.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:46:30 Mobile | Show all posts
I think what people are forgetting is that he is a police officer, first and foremost. Rank and operational responsibilities come second.

If a police officer hides in a locked car, then drives off at the nearest opertunity rather than go to the aid of a colleague, they should not be a police officer. I have no personal issue with him, I’m sure he has done many great things during his career, and I don’t think he should be lynched.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
That's a bit like saying Theresa May is a politician, first and foremost. Being Prime Minister and ministerial responsibilities come second.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
No, it’s nothing like that.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register