View: 2325|Reply: 164

Replacing light bulbs with LEDs - LED lightbulb information

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 03:48:39 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Having done a bit of research into light bulbs, here is some useful information if you are deciding to replace your usual incandescent light bulbs with LEDs.

But first, I want to clarify the terminology used to describe the various types of light bulbs on websites because you don't want to be buying the wrong type.

Bulb Types
There are two ways to name light bulbs.  The first is by the type of connector (or 'Cap') - the most common being Bayonet and Edison screw.
Bayonet Cap
With its familiar 'push and twist' action, the 'bayonet cap' (also known as BC or B22) is used on most standard light bulbs. It has a diameter of 22mm and two locating lugs.
The 'small bayonet cap' (SBC or B15) is very similar but only 15mm across.
The GU10 spot light has different lugs located in the base.
Edison Screw Cap
The most popular ES or E27 fitting is 27mm diameter and is widely used in both the US and Europe. The Small Edison Screw (SES or E14) is often used for smaller decorative fittings, chandeliers, and appliance bulbs - predominantly in the UK and Europe.

The other way to name bulbs is by the bulb shape.
Common Light bulb shapes

I recently bought a type A to replace a type R and it sticks out of the ceiling a bit more than it should do.  I wish I'd found out about bulb types before I bought the wrong one.

Incandescent bulbs (the 'traditional' domestic light bulbs)
                                                                                Here is a photo of a blown bulb from our chandelier type living room light.  The light has five type B22 cap, G shape (golf ball), 40 watt bulbs in it.  The filament has obviously broken. I didn't know that the currently used incandescent light bulb - a wire filament carrying an electrical current in a vacuum - was invented nearly 200 years ago, and approximately 90% of the power is emitted as heat, rather than as visible light.  That's pretty inefficient!  No wonder they get so hot!

I counted 83 incandescent ('normal') and halogen ('spot') light bulbs in our house, not including table lamps, garage fluorescents and outside security lights.  That's a lot of lights including

'standard' E27 Edison screw-ins of type A and R varying from 40 to 60 watts'small' E14 Edison screw types of type R at 28 watts'standard' Bayonet B22 lights of type A and varying wattagesType G 'golf ball' Bayonet B22 lights at 40 wattsGU10 bayonet spot lights mainly at 50 watts
Comparing incandescent and LED bulbs
When all three spot lights on one circuit in our study had blown, I decided to look at longer lasting alternatives.
I discounted CFL (the fluorescent energy saving) bulbs because (as far as I know) you can't get them as spots, they use mercury and take too long to light up.
LED light bulbs are instant-on (like incandescent), are available in a variety of configurations, last over 10 times longer than normal incandescent light bulbs but (currently) cost over 10 times as much.  So the cost saving is in the reduced power they use, which is about 1/7th or 1/8th that of incandescent bulbs.  So by replacing all three 50 watt bulbs with 6 watt LEDs, we're saving 88% of the electricity right there!

Light bulb power comparison table (approximate)

Incandescent    Halogen    LED
12-15W           1.3W
25W     25W     3W
30W         
40W     50W     5W
60W     60W     7W
75W           9W
100W           13W
As the technology becomes more widely used, I expect the cost of LEDs to come down.  One reason they cost so much is that they have to have a transformer inside to convert the 240 volts mains supply down to the much smaller current they need.  Maybe in the future, when a house has all LEDs, lighting circuits might have a reduced voltage so that the transformer element of the bulbs is no longer required.  I'm speculating though, because I'm not an electrician.

Light warmth
I was surprised to find that most people take for granted (I certainly did) how yellowey our house light bulbs are.  That is to say the light from the bulb is quite a lot 'warmer' than pure white.  Colder bulbs tend to have a bluer light.   The type of light, ranging from red (warm) through to blue (cold) is referred to as its temperature using the Kelvin scale.

LED light bulbs have been criticised for being too cold, and their product descriptions usually refer to them as being 'natural white' or 'warm white'.  If you want to emulate the colour of your old bulbs, you need to go for warm or very warm lights with a temperature of around 3,000k or less.
Lamp Color Name     Apparent Color Temperature (Kelvin)     Common Adjectives Used to Describe the Light
Warm White      2700-3200K     Friendly, warm, inviting, intimate, relaxing
Natural White      4000-4500K     Neat and clean, Natural tone
Day White      5500-6000K     Crisp light, efficient, brightly lit, natural outdoor
Cool White      7000-7500K     Bright light, bluish light
Dimmable?
Most LED light bulbs are not dimmable.  Those that are dimmable should specifically say so on the product description and are usually a bit (a few pounds or so) more expensive.  In a couple of rooms in our house, we have a dimmer switch, and so I will need to buy dimmable bulbs for those rooms.  I have read that not all dimmer switches are compatible with LED bulbs, and the amount of light given out is not linear as you turn the switch.  That is to say as you turn the dimmer up, the bulb stays off and then suddenly turns on.   Replacement dimmer switches compatible with LED lights are sold on the 'net for under £20.

I created a calculator spreadsheet (attached) for working out the cost savings of LED bulbs.  (I make no guarantee of its accuracy, but it's a start).

My reports on buying and using LED lights will follow
As light bulbs in the house (and outside of it) need replacing, I'll be reporting on the LED bulbs I buy.  I'll be trying lots of different types and comparing them to the ones we already have.  Hopefully the information will be useful to anyone else wanting to swap their normal light bulbs with LEDs.

Please reply here with your experiences of LED lights.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:48:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Stuart, should be an interesting thread
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:48:41 Mobile | Show all posts
I replaced a number of 50W G10 halogen spots in the kitchen for a number of 5W LED "equivalents".  Bloody awful.  In our kitchen I have 14 spots.  Half of which are "normal" GU10 halogen, and the other half, the 5W LEDs.   I think LED spots struggle with throwing their light over a wide area. It appears to the eye that the LED's are about 20% of the brightness of the halogen lights.  Perhaps even 10%.  They are awful.  As they're expensive I don't fancy buying the higher rated ones to try.  If LED's performance is as bad as I have seen, the equivalence table needs drastically revamping.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Thanks for that. You may also want to look into Lux output, as I read that a lot of people only look at the total wattage of the lights when comparing but Lux give a more accurate representation.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Shouldn't this be in the 'Renewable Energy and Energy Saving' forums or have AVF admitted that if you what something read by a lot of people, put in in General Chat

BTW - most incandescent are filled with an inert gas such as Argon rather than evacuated to a vacuum.

Last year I replaced the 11 50W Halogen spots in my kitchen with 8.5W LED spots (Toshiba Dimmable).  I did a lot of research looking at LED and CFLs.  If you search in the correct forum you will find my test notes for the products I tested.

My main drive was that the 50W Halaogens were failing often and I wanted to get away from the continual replacing.  Cost wasn't so much of an issue, especially as high output LEDs are expensive so it will take 2 to 3 years to cover the outlay.  My spots were £27 each.

Be aware that there are loads of exaggerated claims and it took me some time to find a unit that actually stood up to it's claims about being brighter than a 50W halogen.

But I'm really pleased with the result.  CFLs were too dull (despite claims) and more importantly too slow to get to full brightness - LEDs are instant.  The light is much colder than incandescent but this works very well in the kitchen - not sure I would like it as much in the lounge.  My LEDs are dimmable - although I agree with the OP that most aren't, that is just to cut manufacturing costs I feel.  It is much easier to make an LED dimmable than CFL and that would be proper dimmable not the step changes in CFL.

One thing I can't get my head round is how LED would be used to replace traditional bulbs - those that hand from a rose or in a typical light fitting.  Incandescent bulbs give all round light whereas LED is very directional.  This isn't a problem with spots which are installed in a group and include reflectors to widen the beam but not sure how it would work with a traditional globe type bulb - but I'm sure technology will find a way (or maybe already has - I might be out of touch here).

Cheers,

Nigel

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It should really be in the Home Automation and Lighting board... but oh well eh

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Will be watching this with interest.  My husband really wants to reduce the energy consumption from light bulbs.  We have silly numbers of spots in the kitchen, 12 of which have been replaced with LEDs.  I'm not convinced so far, as switching on the set that aren't LED gives off better light in my eyes.  This is not helped by two of the LED bulbs intermittently flickering.  

The tradional low energy bulbs I really dislike.  I like the light to be instantaneous, not waiting a few minutes to warm up.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I have been thinking of replacing my kitchen spot lights with LED ones ans there forever blowing and the wife has a habit of leaving them on all the time (£££££'S). They are type R.
I had found a site, ill post a link up later that have hundreds of bulbs even ones that replace the classic A type but have read that throw of light is a problem. Maybe these are different.
They even have remote controlled ones that can be changed to 16 different colours. Could be good for home cinema use or a funky kids lamp.

Good thread ill be following it with a keen interest.

Thanks.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:48:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Who's got the cajones to move it?  

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:48:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Something like this maybe?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部