Author: raduv1

Grow your own ?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:49:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Be interesting to see what they produce, ie whether they breed true.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:49:54 Mobile | Show all posts
The old couple that gave me the tomatoes used to grow veg commercially and despite the old boy being in his 80’s he still had a massive plot which he grew on.

He was the one that said just dry the seeds so I’m hoping they do produce.

On a side not I also got some nice tomatoes from Lidl, I just sliced a tomatoe and covered it in soil to see if it would grow.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:49:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Why the hell have a spelled Tomato like that.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:49:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Last year we had lots of tomatoes - a tomato seedling came up when we added compost to a tub to grow something else.  We nurtured it and it was amazing how many tomatoes it produced.  We also had some strawberries from a trough of plants.  In previous years we've also grown a tub of salad leaves - the sort you can harvest a few leaves at a time as you go along and they lasted for ages and were delicious.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:49:56 Mobile | Show all posts
I've made a couple of raised beds out of pallet packing crates (collapsible sides that sit on a pallet) to grow in as well as grow bags and old planters

Got some seeds planted and seeing some seedlings popping up,

So hopefully i have 4 different variety of tomatoes, 2 lots are from old seeds that i didn't hold out much hope for but a couple have germinated.
2 different cucumbers,
Turnip 1 row and Beetroot 1 row Radish seeding indoors at the moment but will do a row in a week or 2.
Baby Gem Lettuce planting a few seeds every couple of weeks to try to have a fairly constant crop available, Rocket a row of this and maybe another in a couple of weeks.
Melons although the seeds haven't germinated yet will give that until the weekend and then try some more seeds.
Green beans again not germinated yet will try some more this weekend.
and pumpkins from seeds i harvested last halloween (don't know why really but really pleased with these)?

Most of my strawberry plants didn't survive the winter so need a plan something different for storing them this year.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:49:57 Mobile | Show all posts
That’s a good idea, I might make some raised beds this weekend.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:49:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I've got in: 18 tomatoes, 3 rows of spuds, 60 leeks, 60 onions, courgette and runner beans

In pots (to be planted) - watermelon, pumpkin and melon

Veg patch as of this morning. Normally a bit further on then this, but I was late getting everything in the ground. It's been quite a damp spring. The random green bits are random potatoes missed last year.

Orchard

4* apple trees
4* pear trees
2* plum trees

spread about the land

3* cherry
10  really old plums that don't do much anymore
1* lemon (didn't survive winter)
Fig
Olive

Most of it gets given away, far too much fruit to process

More to come.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:49:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Just got some peas and French beans in also sowed a couple of rows of cut n come again salad leaves.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:50:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Well enjoyed my first harvest of the year with some radish that went ballistic last week and got some Rocket to start cutting from as well.

All tomatoes are outside and planted as said earlier i have gone for 4 different varieties keeping 3 plants of each variety to a growbag this has left me with a few spare plants so dropped these into some spare pots.
Beans are a few inch now from nothing before we went away at the start of the half term, Turnips have gone mental, beetroot struggling but have dropped in another row of these see how that goes on, cucumbers are outside, bell peppers seem to be struggling at the moment.

Couldn't get my melons to germinate after trying several times, my mother though who i gave some seeds to has shown her green fingers and got all hers to germinate? so i have pinched some seedlings. Little gems rows 1 and 2 doing well (5 plants in each row) so have now seeded a third row direct to the soil

As said before i have a little lean to Greenhouse that i moved my pumpkin plants into in May unfortunately it was the first hot day we had and i forgot about opening the top up so effectively dried them out...lesson learnt though.

Hopefully the rest of you are doing OK?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:50:01 Mobile | Show all posts
This is my first year I’ve done any reasobale amount of growing.

It mainly consists of about 30 tomato plants that I accidentally grew (I didn’t realise so many would sprout)

Also 12 or so Climbing French beans and a pepper plant.

Oh yeah- I’m growing three avacados too and a pineapple.

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部