Author: Wardy257

Common Gym Mistakes and Simple Solutions to them

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 04:54:55 Mobile | Show all posts
took me about an hour to read that, god knows how long it took to write lol. thanks wardy.

can i ask a question - what are your thoughts on the strong lifts 5x5 routine?  i first started it a year or so ago, and gave it up when my gym was going through a refurb (during the refurb the gym was moved between sites, some machinery/weights were lost, so was tricky to get it all done), i then moved onto a chest and tris/legs/back and bis split and now i have just started again on the 5x5 SL routine (about 3 weeks now).

i like the 5x5 as it is just 5 basic exercises (as i am sure you are aware, but for those who read this who are not it is just squat (every session), bench, bent over rows, overhead press and deadlift). the app on my phone lets me track my progress (although the new updated app is rubbish compared to the old one).
between sets 1-4 i rest for 1min 30 and then between set 4 to 5 i normally rest for 3 mins (especially on the squat as it gets heavier).

is it important to be very strict with these timings of rest period? when performing squats i am glad and thankful for the rest, but with OHP i might rest for a 30 seconds to a minute then feel ready to go again.  should i always rest for the full 1min 30 before going again, regardless of how "good" i feel or how "easy" the last set went?

i think the biggest issue for me is diet and getting enough calories in. i have always been quite big, so in my mind set i don't want to be eating 2500-3000 calories a day as i think i will just put on weight and get fat. it scares me so i don't do it. but i know only consuming say 1500 calories a day isn't any good either. also, the cost puts me off a little as well. buying enough food to be able to eat that many calories and protein is a little worrying.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 04:54:55 Mobile | Show all posts
I am a big fan of the 5x5 variants and have used it myself and with clients.  Remember it is a strength based routine, yes you will gain some mass but its more about getting your squat, deadlift and bench weights up.

The rest is important for max strength, you need 3-4 mins rest between the heavy sets, perhaps sets 3, 4 and 5.  The OHP uses lots of smaller muscles in harmony so you could argue you need less rest so just do what works for you.

Calories wise wholewheat pasta and brown rice is cheap, if you avoid the rip off brands protein powder can be cheap to if you bulk by.  Keep it simple.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:54:56 Mobile | Show all posts
see, when i first started i wanted to be huge, but i wasn't aware that training to get bigger and training to get stronger were mutually exclusive.

i don't know if you know much about wwe (wrestling), but i always liked the bodies of guys like john cena and brock lesnar. both very very strong but both really well built, massive muscles etc.

Use magic Report

ok, read it, and it would seem I need to have a proper think about my routine!!!  if I follow this advise, my routine needs some serious tweaking.  The main things I need to look at is the over-complication and too-much-isolation work aspects of it. Perhaps I'll post up (in my thread) my current/planned routines/split, and then an amended version, based on your advice, and you can let me know what you think.

Thanks again for the sterling effort on the post.

Use magic Report

I'm thinking we could also use this thread (or create a new one if the mods think it's appropriate) on general tips etc that people have..?

I saw an interesting video on youtube last night -

Use magic Report

would love a physique like the bald guy.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:54:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Good thread wardy. I'm 95% there on a lot of it, but it never hurts to have everything re-iterated

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Entirely up to you guys, new thread or in here, it's all good.

Use magic Report

quick question here...

going back to the section 3 -
'3. Keep it specific.

If you want to get big then use at least 60% of your 1 rep max 6-12 reps, 2-4 sets and a max of the 3 exercises per body part/body movement, 45 – 90 sec rest. If you want to get strong then use 60-100% of you 1 rep max for 2-5 reps, 4-5 sets and perhaps only one exercise per body movement (squat, deadlift, press), 2 – 5 mins rest. If you want endurance then use 10-59% of your 1 rep max for 12-20 reps, 4-6 sets per body movement, 30-45s rest. If you want to increase cardio output then run/walk/cycle etc at at least 70% max heart rate. Train 3 times a week and add weight to the bar/distance/speed at least once a fortnight, ideally once a week on each movement/exercise.

If you work outside of these common rules/principles then you are most likely not maximising your gains (see No 1). Doing that final set of dumbbell curls with 6kgs after you have already lifted 18 kgs is not going to help you, its just cardio and a waste of energy. Checking your Facebook status between every set or sending a text as your “rest” is not going to help anyone. Plan and time your rests intervals properly and execute them consistently.'

is there  a way to mix both concepts together (i.e. get stronger, and bigger) whether it be in a same week (i.e. some days 5x5, then some other days 3x8?) or even same day?

as my current routine is basically a monday - I'll do pushing - benchpress starting off with a 5x5 then as I raise the bench (to night on it's highest) I'm using a lower weight - doing more reps, but by then using my shoulders more anyway...then I'll do some tricep work

tuesday is my pull routine - where I'll start off doing cable rows (3x10) as I'm the max weight anyway, then dumbbel rows 3x8, then lat pull downs 5x5, then deadlifts aim for 5x5, then I'll work on my biceps  which is typically 3x8, then finished off doi ng some farmers walk and hanging from the pullup bars until I couldn't hang on anymore (typically 4-5x15-20 seconds)

wednesday is leg day...I'll normally start off doing 5x5 squats, then leg press (tho, I had to wait last night - so opted to do leg curls first) and did 3x10, then 3x10 on the leg press (which gave me a great pump). then some calve work, and finished doing some hamgstring curls and a 5 minute run on the treadmill  

then on a friday night I normally do a kettlercise and metafit class back to back...

I used to do a bootcamp of a saturday morning which was a killer and this would consist of something like -
warmups of -
50 crunches
40 squat thrusts
30 side sit ups
20 burpees
10 scissors
20 burpees
30 side sit ups
40 squat thrusts
50 crunches

the 21 times kettlebell (12kg) of - x 3
kettlebell swings
left hand snatch
right hand snatch
sit ups
run around 1/2 football pitch

same again but 14 x 3

same again 7 x 3

then 7 minute burpee challenge (~55 in total)...
but I do miss that class

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 04:54:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Reiteration,

I will start with the video which echoed what I wrote above, your training has to be specific to your goals. Getting big is not the same as getting strong, you lift the appropriate weight with perfect form through a full range of motion.

As for your other question.

Yes you could mix and match.  For a couple of months this year I did that myself.  So for each movement I would start with 5x5, then I would do 4x8 then finally 3 x 12.  I would reduce the rest as I increased the reps.  However, whichever way you look at it this is still a compromised training system and periodisation may be better.

As for your workout plan:

- Always start with the 5x5 for each movement.
- Why are you doing cable rows and dumbell rows?  I assume you are using a different grip/elbow posititon?
- Are you doing full or partial deadlifts on your pull day?
- I would put a day off between each session.
- What do you actually do in your 2 classes?
- Warm up, stretching, mobility?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部