Author: Wardy257

Common Gym Mistakes and Simple Solutions to them

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 04:54:57 Mobile | Show all posts
hi - thanks for getting back to me

to answer your questions...
dumbell rows - yes, when I do the bent over rows I have my palms facing inwards coming upto my side, and on the cable row I have my palms facing down...

I do full deadlifts too

a day inbwteen...yes, that would be nice in some ways, but I'm normally away at weekends in hotels etc - and in fact sometimes use the gym there if they have one, but normally just do a light session...but this is ~every other week...so, I like to keep a consistent routine of what I have if possible as I know I can usually do the mon,tue, wed, and friday...

the 2 classes - the kettlercise is a cv based class where I'll do ~37 kettlebell exercises in about 40 minutes...the kettlebell weighs 10kg...the routine varys (10 week pattern) of swings, lunges, snatches etc
metafit is a body weight class - again this is a cv based class that lasts from 16-27 minutes and we do pressups, burpees, jump jacks, squats, running on the spot etc...

at the gym - I need to warm up more...! but stretch afterwards... I'm 43 too...34 inch waist and weigh 14 stone
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 04:54:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Ok,

Reversing the grip on the rows just alters the range of motion.  I would pick one exercise with elbows by your side (switch reverse and normal grip every other week) to hit the Lats, and one where you hands are wider, elbows flared to hit the upper traps, rhomboids and rear delts.

Do the deadlifts first then, alternate between sumo and conventional style.

If work/life forces you to train 3 days in a row you need to change your training so you dont get too beat up. So, Monday upper body, Tuesday lower body, Wednesday upper body.

I think you are overtraining with those classes, too much cardio!!  Maybe Fridays do some high intensity intervals on a cross trainer, rower etc for 20-25 mins.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:54:57 Mobile | Show all posts
thanks...yep, will change so that I do a push on a monday, legs on tuesday, then pull on a wed...

tho, I'm not convinced i do too much cardio - it's all the cardio I do - as it also gives me doms from time to time

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:54:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Great post! Did I miss the 'sleep' section?? (Says he posting at 1:15am..doh)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Great thread - thanks for posting

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Just to put your mind at rest a little .. I'm just under 5ft, weigh 8st 5lbs...I eat about 2300 cals a day and I am not fat

Desmo eats the same, and we spend around £80 a week on food for BOTH of us. It needn't be expensive

You're training hard, fuel your body!

Great thread Wardy

Use magic Report

but i am one of these people that just looks at a cake and can put on 4lb

tbh, my diet needs to get sorted out. i hardly ever eat breakfast (unless i really force myself), and then if i can't be arsed to make anything before work i can quite easily go through my whole work day eating very little/nothing and then have dinner when i get home.

i need to force myself to get up a bit earlier and have some cereal or some toast and then prep my lunch (i love bread far too much which is annoying), but want to start trying to take a chicken breast with some rice to work most days.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Great thread thanks.....

You mention DNA a few times in your posts. Is it worth in your opinion getting tested to see what type of responder you are so as to structure training accordingly?

I think there was a horizon programme where they did this....

This site carries out tests XRGenomics »Home

Or would the money be better spent elsewhere?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 04:54:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Sharger, keep it simple, train for your specific goal with the right intensity.  There is a 99.99% chance that will work fine for you.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 04:54:59 Mobile | Show all posts
18. No Pain, No Gain.

This is a simple one right?  Man up and push through that pain barrier to get results?  Well first of all one mans pain, is another mans pleasure.  Also, not all pain is equal and it is very subjective.  As a rule I would suggest any acute pain is bad regardless.  What if you feel the pain in an area/muscle you did not train last session?  Probably bad too and down to form or poor selection of exercise.

The main factor that should decide whether you have had a good training or session should not be the fact you can not walk the next day.  It should be your training log and plan and whether or not you have achieved your objective for that session.  If your goal was to add 2.5kg to your squat and you did you were successful.  Simple.  Pain is subjective, your plan and log are objective.

There will, well should, be training sessions when you have to push through the barrier a bit but you need to use common sense.  Is what you are doing a realistic exercise/load?  Yes, then push. No. Well drop the intensity.  It all comes back to your plan, your log and your choice of exercise in the end.

19. Free Weights are Better than Machines

Another obvious one right?  Free weights are harder so they must be better?  Keep it simple (No. 1) an exercise is either appropriate to meeting your specific (No. 2) training goals or it is not.  If you are doing standing calf raises to increase the muscle size in your calves it does not matter whether you use a machine, barbell, dumbbell or kettle bell as you load as long as your form is good.  But, if you are trying to target the soleus (calf) muscle then you are going to have to do your calf raises seated so will need a machine of some sort.

If you are brand new to the gym or have not trained for a few years starting on machines makes perfect sense and will probably be more productive.  This is because all your body needs right now is safe exercise, your brain has to learn how to control the muscles properly and in sequence etc etc.  However, if you are gym regular trying to lose 10 kg of fat machines are most likely not suitable as for a start most involve you being sat down (using less calories), and most machines isolate too much.

Do not forget about Range of Movement (ROM) which machines can help or hinder, as can free weights.  For most people training through the full ROM is a must although this does not have to be done with a single exercise.  So you could target the bottom ROM with a machine exercise and the top ROM with a dumbbell exercise.

I will caveat this with the following……

Some machines are just [email protected] due to pure design so ask a friendly personal trainer for advice.  Also, not all machines are equal although they look the same to most of us.  The leg press and leg curl machines in the gym I work for are terrible, but similar items at other gyms work fine.  Some examples here:

http://www.csulb.edu/~atlastwl/Biom_WL&Wt_Training1989.pdf

Some great stuff about all this here:

Machines vs. Free Weights: More Research is Needed | Bret Contreras

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部