1234567Next
Back New
View: 1628|Reply: 62

Honest opinions appreciated on this proposed Hi-Fi separates system purchase!

[Copy link]
28-11-2019 01:12:15 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello all. First post from a long time lurker on this forum who could do with some advice.

My last system was an Arcam Movie Solo 5.1, a surround set of Linn (Majik?) speakers and a Martin Logan Dynamo 12” subwoofer. In retrospect, this was expensive overkill as I never really watched any movies on it and only ever used it for listening to CD’s. Anyhow, after about 7 years of use, the Arcam developed faults turning on and off and reading disks and in the end the CD drawer jammed shut, the subwoofer developed a constant humming noise and the Linn speakers got damaged in transit when I moved for work, so I ended up giving it all away to a buddy who couldn’t afford his own kit.

Right now, I’m back to using my old budget system from the early 90’s (Kenwood KA-3020 SE amp, Pioneer PD S-703 CD player, Mission 731i speakers). Obviously this won’t cut it after the last bit of kit I had, so I’m looking to upgrade.

Budget is around GBP 3,200.00. Living room size is about 5m x 5m and is attached in an open plan fashion to a kitchen diner at the rear which is about 3m x 5m. I doubt I’ll have the room for floorstanders as one of the speakers will have to sit in a corner and there’s not enough space to have them placed any real distance away from the wall. I’m looking to listen to CD’s and to radio and would really like to replicate the expansive sound I got out of my 5.1 set up, which was mind blowing (to me, anyway…).

I’ve done some research and have come up with this as a possible configuration:

Yamaha AS1100 amp
Marantz CD6006 UK edition CD player
Focal Aria 906 standmounts (these will sit on my existing sand filled Atacama SE24 stands)
Yamaha WXAD10 streamer (for internet radio as I’m not sure what the future of DAB is)
BK Electronics XXLS400 subwoofer (probably not a purists choice, I know, but having a subwoofer worked really well on my 5.1 system when I listened to CD’s)

I’d appreciate some feedback on this set up, and indeed any thoughts on any alternatives which I might want to consider as well.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:12:17 Mobile | Show all posts
A nice neat alternative if you are willing to go second hand may be -

Naim uniti 2 cd/streamer/amp with sub outs

Naim Uniti 2, light use only, immaculate condition  | eBay                                                                                                        Naim Uniti2, non Bluetooth version. Immaculate condition and has only had light use. Serial No 365750, dating from 2014. The display had faded and was replaced by Naim just under 3 years ago. It shows no signs of fading since then.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk                                                                               
PMC Twenty 22 stand mounts

pmc twenty 22 | eBay                                                                                                        Find great deals on eBay for pmc twenty 22 and pmc twenty 23. Shop with confidence.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk                                                                               
You can then add a sub if you need to.

Note, naim and pmc have a distinctive sound so whatever you go for make sure you audition.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:12:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Ugg10 and thanks for your reply.

I'll take a look at what you've suggested, but being honest I'm not all that keen on taking a chance on second hand equipment. Also reluctant to go for another British brand for the amp given the hassle I had with the Arcam being reliable.

Auditioning will be tricky given where I'm living right now, but I certainly hope to visit a few stores to check this equipment out in the flesh when (hopefully!) I return for Christmas in a few weeks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:12:19 Mobile | Show all posts
I’m going to suggest active speakers from one of the best in the world.

Core 7                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.dynaudio.com                                                                               
And one of these.

WXC-50 - Overview - Yamaha - United States                                                                                                        Connect your existing home theater AV receiver or Hi-Fi system to this compact preamp, then use your Wi-Fi® network to access all of your music from a simple app. Add other MusicCast speakers, sound bars or receivers for wireless multiroom audio playback. In addition to Wi-Fi, this preamp also...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                usa.yamaha.com                                                                               
No wasted cash on ‘hifi’ frippery; just superb music.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:12:20 Mobile | Show all posts
I would also strongly recommend going second hand. Hifi, particularly in Europe, is very much a gentleman's club with almost no price responsiveness whatever. For this reason I refuse to buy new - you are paying to protect the cartel of dealers.

Buying new is no guarantee of longevity either. If you want to buy long term, go for brands that offer very long guarantees (PMC/Bryston) and/or provide good after-sales support.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:12:21 Mobile | Show all posts
To answer your question..that will be a very nice system. All very well received pieces of kit.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:12:22 Mobile | Show all posts
I would suggest that looks like a well balanced system. However, on the speaker front, If you can run to it or haggle around buying the other pieces, I would listen to that amp through Monitor Audio Gold 100 (5th gen) speakers, I recently purchased the the 2100 amp, not that dissimilar to the 1100, and play through the MA’s, in a similar sized room. I personally love the sound, it’s very smooth and controlled, everything sounds just right, well to my ears it does anyway. Good luck.

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:12:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Paul7777x - thanks for the reply. A bit disappointed to see my particular configuration deemed 'frippery', as I thought I'd been quite careful in trying to select audiophile grade equipment. Ho hum.

Those speakers look quality but they're double the cost of the Focal's. Are you proposing that I don't go with a subwoofer and the Core 7's will provide an equal (or better) level of low down noise?

Also, the WXC-50 is more expensive than the streamer I've proposed. Seeing as I only need really need it for internet radio, what advantage(s) will I get from buying the more expensive kit?

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:12:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi shugg4476 and thanks for your input. I see your point but psychologically I just can't bring myself to buy second hand hi-fi. Probably means I may lose out in some respects, but it's just a personal quirk!

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:12:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Hixs - appreciate your reply. I'm glad to receive some confirmation that what I've settled on for now just might work out. Thanks again.

Use magic Report

1234567Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部