1234567Next
Back New

Honest opinions appreciated on this proposed Hi-Fi separates system purchase!

[Copy link]
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:12:59 Mobile | Show all posts
@dollag - thank you for the recommendation for the power amp. I did actually look at the Emotiva myself previously, but was put off by a lot of feedback on the web regarding its unreliability. Would definitely be interested in keeping the WXC50, as it looks like a great piece of kit. On that basis, I'll be looking at other power amps further to see if there's anything else I could consider which is within budget.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:13:01 Mobile | Show all posts
I know that my local AudioT have a pair of floorstanding PMCs running from Rega Elicit-R or a Naim Nait XS3 and one of the salesmen is always singing the praises of the PMCs.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:13:02 Mobile | Show all posts
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Heed Audio Obelisk DT CD Transport, Obelisk Pre-Amp and Obelisk PS Power Amp   | eBay                                                                                                        Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Heed Audio Obelisk DT CD Transport, Obelisk Pre-Amp and Obelisk PS Power Amp  at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk                                                                               
This look an interesting combo, unfortunately it has not long to go but may be worth seeing if it sells and for how much and if not whether it is re-listed. It also has the 2.1 Dactyl DAC card which is the better one.

Review of Obelisks - 6moons audio reviews: Heed Audio Obelisk Series Trio

if you could get it at the starting price then you could add Yamaha streamer and have enough left over for TWO of these to use as speaker stands !!!!

BK Double Gem in Satin Black 300W RMS 12" Subwoofer 5060403221131 | eBay                                                                                                        Boasting a 300W RMS (600W peak) amplifier coupled to a 2 x 10" " drive units in a sealed enclosure to produce a deep, musical and dynamic subwoofer that can not only shake the room when required but can be subtle and refined, making the Double Gem the ideal subwoofer for both Hi-Fi and movies.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Update - did not sell with start at £1200. Relisted.

Heed Audio Obelisk DT CD Transport, Obelisk Pre-Amp and Obelisk PS Power Amp   | eBay                                                                                                        Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Heed Audio Obelisk DT CD Transport, Obelisk Pre-Amp and Obelisk PS Power Amp  at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk                                                                               
Interestingly he has sold some PMC GB1s in the past so may be worth a message to get his thoughts.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
If you only sources are cd and streamer e.g. digital then you could go this route -

Cambridge 851c - cd pre amp - £650
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 851C (BLACK) UPSAMPLING CD PLAYER /DAC/PRE-AMP *UK STOCK 5055300405234 | eBay                                                                                                        If you've a treasured collection of CDs and are keen to keep increasing your collection, the Cambridge Audio 851C will get the very best out of the format. At the heart of the 851C is a 32-bit Analog Devices Black Fin DSP (Digital Signal Processor).                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk                                                                               
Cambridge 851w power amp (this is silver but wait for a black one to pop up) £900

Cambridge Audio Azur 851W Flagship Power Amplifier (Silver)new  | eBay                                                                                                       

Cambridge Audio Azur 851W Flagship Power Amplifier (Silver). Condition is New . Box has been opened but never been used welcome to come view and collect or I can post unwanted gift any questions call 07563153305

www.ebay.co.uk                                                                               
Add the Yamaha streamer and Bk sub and you are there.

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:13:03 Mobile | Show all posts
@Ugg10 - thanks for these suggestions. To be frank, it's almost as if the choice is getting a bit overwhelming. One thing I can say with certainty is that I won't buy used - just a personal quirk of mine when it comes to things I buy as 'luxuries'. However, that Azur 851 has definitely caught my attention at that price - as you say, it's a shame it's not in black.....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:13:04 Mobile | Show all posts
I'd still look at Hegels offerings.

the H160 can be had pretty cheap as it's been replaced and they have amazing dacs integrated.

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:13:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Ok, so I'm picking up a vibe that 'good clean power' is all I really need to look for. No need for a fancy-dan 'audiophile' solution - just something that can drive these speakers properly.

Now this might not be even technically feasible, as I don't really know much about these products, but I'll put it out there anyway (and risk getting flamed...).

How about a DJ/PA type amp? I saw a fella on YouTube (Z Reviews) extolling the virtues of a power amp by Crown - XLS Drivecore 2 (I can't remember the model number). Lots of power, can be bought brand new (my preference) for not much money. Ugly as hell but I think I could probably hide it out of sight.

I was thinking maybe I could get this as the power amp to run my speakers and pair it with the WXC50 as the pre amp, which I really think I'd like to keep as part of this set up.

If this is a viable solution, how/where would the sub fit in connection wise in this set up?

Again, any thoughts on this would be welcome (even if it's to tell me it's a no-no!).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:13:06 Mobile | Show all posts
Only issue with many PA type amps are that they are fan cooled and most you can't turn off or are not temperature controlled so in a domestic environment at sensible listening levels this can be annoying (I have a similar problem on my Plasma TV).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:13:07 Mobile | Show all posts
to add to @Ugg10 post, pro amplifiers also generally have a higher noisefloor and worse snr which can limit dynamics.

Zeos (Z reviews) does a lot of eq-ing through his minidsp's and is not just a plug/play solution he has.

They do however offer the best power to performance

Use magic Report

1234567Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部