Author: wrench86

Tado smart thermostat

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 1-12-2019 21:02:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Btw update adjusting the temp by 0.7 has fixed my issue of the living room cooling down quicker than the hall way. Thank you!!!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Have you called them?  When ever ive phoned i get through to someone straight away however emails seem to take a few days for a response.

I made a new blog post documenting my installation experience - Tado Smart Thermostat Installation and Setup – Geek Blog of Randomness

Have to say it was really easy to install these devices.  Although i had some trouble with the radiator thermostat as the tado is slightly larger than the one i replaced however i contacted support and they said i require a special M28x1.5mm adapter which they will send to me free of charge.  Cant complain with that although its actually ok as it is now

I am finding the schedule i have a bit strange though. For example:

Zone 2 (radiator thermostat) is set to 20 degrees between 5pm and 8pm
Zone 1 (Main Thermostat) set to 20 degrees until 9pm
At 8pm Zone 2 is set to 18 degrees.
At 9pm Zone 1 is set to 17 degress.

I noticed last night after 9pm the heating went off which is understandable based on the schedule. I also noticed the Zone 2 reported the ambient temp of the room (based on the radiator location) was at 15 degrees and the heating symbol was on in that zone.   

All my other radiators are manual so despite Zone 1 not requesting heat i would still imagine the radiators in the others room to be on because Zone 2 requires heat still however they weren't.

I feel this isnt right, if Zone 2 is requesting heat the radiators should be on?

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:19 Mobile | Show all posts
Excellent, mine seems to be settling down now as having smart energy meters at the same time perhaps wasn't my smartest idea as seeing the boiler on so much and how much it was costing was giving me a heart attack. However now it all seems much more efficient with less firing of the boiler but the temp is maintained.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:02:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Nope I haven't tried calling them. I'm in no rush but this has been going on since December now. I emailed them back in December to say I wanted to swap from their rental programme to purchase. It took them a couple of weeks to get back to me with a confirmation of the price. I replied immediately to say that I also needed to purchase another thermostat for Zone 2 as we had just moved house and the new house has two zones but I'm still waiting for confirmation of that as well.

I could ring them but I simply should have to.

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:21 Mobile | Show all posts
can this be attached to any boiler. i am somewhat surprised that they suggest it can be fitted by the customer - is it that easy then.

i can fit a light and wire a plug etc - is that about the extent of the knowledge you would need

i dont have a separate thermostat - just a dial on the boiler that regulates temperate and a manual timer which does not work

also it mentions needing a bridge - i curently have an echo dot and a hue hub

can i simply buy this and it will work?

TADO Smart Thermostat

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:21 Mobile | Show all posts
also do i need an extension box - if so what does the extension box do

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Everything depends on what you had, if you know the make/model of the boiler and programmer then you can contact Tado directly and ask if it will work but from my understanding their setup works with nearly everything.

The bridge is the Tado internet bridge, this connects to your router and then allows the thermostats to report to the Tado servers.  You dont connect the Tado units to your wifi instead they connect/pari to the bridge.

The one linked here is just the thermostat, it can be used standalone but you need the bridge for it to work i believe.

You will need a starter kit as that includes the bridge and thermostat.

In regards to installation, its really simple and the site gives you tailored guides for replacing your existing kit with correct wiring. if you can wire a plug you can do this no problem.

The extension box is required if you have a wireless programmer/thermostat, it is also required if you want to control hot water too.

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:24 Mobile | Show all posts
i believe the currys version comes with a bridge

its the extension box that throws me.

i do not have an external thermostat of any kind. the currys description suggests you can connect the thermostat straight to a boiler but the tado site suggests you need a extenstion

there are also comments about the bridge not being powerful enough to connect if router is in different room.

does the bridge connect  to thermostat or the extension box

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Our thermostat is upstairs and the bridge is connected to the router downstairs with a brick wall between. Haven't had any connection issues I'm glad to say.

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry, it does include the bridge, i missed that from the description.

Looking at the Tado site i think you would need the extension wired into your boiler and the you would put the thermostat somewhere in the house and it would control the heating wirelessly from the thermostat.

The thermostat would connect to the bridge to allow remote control and also presence detection for heating home/away modes.

I would honestly call Tado directly and speak to their CS, give them your boiler make/model and they will confirm that you need, they have been really good on the phone (just a long wait if you email them).

Also on the Tado site it says "The Extension Kit can only be used as an additional product of the Smart Thermostat - Starter Kit (v3)."

I could be wrong but i think you can only get the v3 thermostat from Tado directly and most of the retail shops have v2 but dont quote me on that.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部