12345678910Next
Back New
View: 1857|Reply: 97

Video Editing Bangs per Buck

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 01:50:30 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I've searched back as far as last May but not found a definitive answer.

I need a package for editing AVCHD when (if) I manage to put together all the bits for my new i5 2500K system.

Amazon shows (other software retailers are available):

Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite 11 (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software
at £34.99 which I am told is a good price because of all the extras.

Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software
at £45.96

Adobe Premiere Elements 10 (PC/Mac): Amazon.co.uk: Software
at £52.99

and
Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate v15 (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software
at £60.13

Plus a load of other cheaper options between £10 and £30.
For example Magix is £10.99.

So a bewildering choice and a large price range.

Is Pinnacle almost twice as good as the Sony Vegas package?

Is Magix a steal at £10.99?

Initially I want to strip down a massive amount of footage to viewable lengths and do things to the audio like reducing wind noise (or replacing it with a sound track).
A bit of titling, fading in and out, nothing massive.

Output to SD DVD for the masses, but retain the HD quality on the media server and for potential future BluRay burning.

Who knows, I might even put something on YouTube.

So is there a recommended package for best "Bangs per Buck"?

Is there a top three list of editing packages?

Cheers

LGC

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:50:31 Mobile | Show all posts
There's also Cyberlink PowerDirector Ultra 10 which runs on a 64-bit system and utilises your GPU for rendering. It's worth considering with the above packages. Cost is around £59 from Amazon.

I have it but then I also have Sony Vegas Home Studio Platinum for video and audio 'tweaking'. PD is easy to use and I find it does most of what I want, but Sony Vegas is more powerful if you have the time to use it.

Best thing to do is try the free 30 trials that most of them do and see which one suits your needs the most.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:50:31 Mobile | Show all posts
I highly recommend Magix but I'm not sure what you are looking at for £10.99.

To edit VCHD you need Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus. which Amazon have on offer at a very reasonable £68. Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus with 3D Compatibility (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

This is a heavyweight program with a steep learning curve, but it does an excellent job and works well on a medium spec computer.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 01:50:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Should be able to get that much cheaper as its superceded by Magix Edit Pro MX which comes in various forms depending on the extras.

The plus version software is less than £40.00 from Dell (less VAT) (could be cheaper elsewhere)

Top of the range is the premium version

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro ? Video editing software

Cheapest I could find this

Magix Movie Edit Pro MX Premium

I have both Vegas Home Studio Platinum (latest version) and the Premium Version of Edit Pro MX.  I prefer the latter for a number of reasons.  However if I had a 64 bit machine and bottomless pockets  I would use Premiere Pro CS5.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Sorry - I linked to the wrong one. Magix do themselves no favours by having so many similar looking products.

Use magic Report

I agree , changing the name was highly confusing.  Took a while to figure out it's really  version 18 in disguise

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Go for the Avid Studio version of Pinnacle. It allows unlimited video tracks and the render time is fast and high quality.

Adobe elements and Vegas are all in the same quality camp, so it comes down to which one you like to use best. I use Adobe Premiere Pro at work, but quite happily use Pinnacle at home. It is not a flexible or esay to use, but fine for most projects.

Where the Magix type packages of this world fall down in speed and quality of render. If HD is important, you want a program with efficient, well written code that will output a good result as quickly as possible.

Use magic Report

Thanks to smart render the latest version of Magix is significantly faster than Vegas. It only recodes at edit points, so apart from transistions etc the output is identical to the original clips.  

Vegas home studio platinum 11 falls short in a number of ways.

Lack of support for AVCHD.  A seperate programme is required for DVD/blu-ray authoring - you can't burn HD content to DVD blanks one of the reasons for the AVCHD codec.  

Poor selection of export codecs and limited customisation.

TMPG probably make the best  software encoders.

Thanks also to smart rendering VideoRedo H264 is faster than any other package I have ever tried but can only do cut edits.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:50:33 Mobile | Show all posts
If you search google for Magix codes/vouchers you can get some reasonable discounts, e.g -Magix Promotional Code | Magix Discount Codes 2011

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:50:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm with Bob   - not knowing which Magix might be £10 -  bargepoles I suspect. . . . .  and Agrree also, Magix has far too many version-names! I dislike the constant barrage of Magix-Marketing making my email input somewhat clogged!

Of the others, I understand Vegas is the only one with ten video and ten audio track potential (although few will ever use that limit). Key-framing and similar FX lend a professional polish to the final output, giving "Hollywood-Style slickness" to home-users.....

I'll agree that Magix has a following, but I only come across it as a suggestion here, whereas being a Vegas Studio user, there are plenty of help/support areas on-line. Also Studio is significantly cheaper, although Magix MX does claim to offer "smart-render" but I suspect other packages are somewhat similar . . . . why would you deliberately process frames that don't need it? . . . . however, I've witnessed the Magix 3D and it was horrid - must assume the operator hadn't RTFM.
So, I hope 3D on Vegas Studio 11 is a lot better, for anyone interested in 3D . . . . but technically, I'd be inclined to wait a couple of years - 3D may be solved by "cloud computing" where the second-view is created by the (external) computer.

grahamlthompson: what you say about Vegas studio is tech. correct:  HOWEVER, the path from Importing clips to ejecting a working DVD is only ONE process - The files created mid-way are linked to the second program.  Whilst I'm no great supporter of DVD Architect Studio (although it's the only vid-burn prog I use), it is a seamless transition from one part to the other. The program is already there, waiting to take your commands. So, I think it's not fair to suggest you need two pieces of software - they do appear joined seemlessly, IMHO.

Furthermore, if you buy the Production Suite, you get both progs, and SoundForge, as well as 1hr DVD on making movies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

LittleGreyCat: In general,
Turning HD clips into a DVD is a multi-part process, so it's not surprising different Software writers have taken different routes . . . .  the Q is which is better? (Bang/Buck).

1) There is the editing part, clipping off the dodgy bits, adding fades/transitions, then FX and Titles, plus pieces of Music   sound FX - all contribute to the final mix. ( see Editing, below).

2) The rendering process, whereby the original clip(copies) are stripped of any excess, the other parts added, adjusted, etc. . . . this is often a large file!

3) The output is chosen from a long-list (in Studio anyway), but it boils down to:  a) DVD - or, b) BlueRay -  this is what DVD Architect is doing - adjusting the Big Rendered File to fit the format of chosen Disc . . . . this can take as long as the earlier Render!
- but you will get a DVD out of it, then check operation on dedicated Player TV - - and burn a second disc in very short-time, or as many as required.

It seems to me that the data-density changes from Camera-files to DVD will be virtually identical,  irrespective of the Software . . .  . so, it comes down to "features" and that's back to Bang/Buck . . . and there, Vegas Studio Production Suite wins . . . . er, IMHO.

I use v10, but the Titler festure, in v11 means I could be tempted . . . . .  pity I didn't wait a month for the update, eh?

Editing in Vegas Studio
Huge number of features, although it lacks "story-boarding" - Golly I've never missed it . . . another feature that I don't need?
VS has some annoying quirks, but you can advance in frames, cut paste, etc and playback at multiple speeds to get to the part/effect you want. Add "M" markers with titles, so you can quickly find a feature or for copying one "trick" so it can be used in another Vid . . . use of second monitor (although I'd rec. a large HD screen).

Use magic Report

12345678910Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部