12345Next
Back New
View: 888|Reply: 49

WD Black on It's way out?

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 03:31:17 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi There

I have a Samsung SSD (C) for the WIN 10 o/s and a Internal 1TB WD Black (D) for everything else, also another drive (G) external for MP3's etc

However recently, when I go to access the WD Black for programs, or anything else. It just sits at 100% activity but there is no data transfer.

CHKDisk (when I can do one, as it takes ages) reports no errors, However it sits at 100% for ages, and more or less brings the os to a halt... I tried the WD utility that scans the drive (Quick Scan as the Long scan was going to take all night) and that came back as fine. I have not reformatted it yet as I am trying to get my data of it

Any Help much appreciated

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:31:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Can you get the temperature of the drive?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 03:31:19 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi, Yes according to the software I was using.. it was about 35 - 45c (If I remember correctly)

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:31:20 Mobile | Show all posts
That is reasonable, it was worth checking.
60C or more could be a cause for concern.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:31:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Try running SSDlife Free, it will tell you if the drive is in good health without having to pay for the pro version.

SSDlife Free

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 03:31:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks, sorry though I forgot to state that the WD Black is a mechanical drive, will it still help?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:31:21 Mobile | Show all posts
No it's for SSD's

Now we know it's mechanical we can guess all kinds of things might be going on. like bad sectors etc

Have you ever defraged the drive for instance?

Free Defrag Software: Ranked & Reviewed

HD testing tools

Think You Might Have a Hard Drive Problem? Test It for Free

A Full Review of HD Tune, a Free Hard Drive Testing Tool

Suggest you do a defrag and run one of the above tools and let us know what you find.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 03:31:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry my bad for not making it clear, that it was a mechanical drive

Yes the drive has been defragged, Windows reports states that it is fully optimised (0% fragmentation) I am at the moment trying to get my stuff of it, but it takes ages (as the attached picture) it just sits at 100% usage but no actual data transfer (the HDD indicator LED, stays solid however the OS on the C Drive SSD just comes to a halt, catching up when the usage periodically drops to nothing)

However when I have got my stuff off, I will try the tools you have suggested and report back.

Kind Regards

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:31:22 Mobile | Show all posts
No issue and not your bad, it's just one of those little things that we can all overlook in the detail of things.

Do yourself a favour and use Macrium Reflect to take an image of your drive. It will create an exact image of the files on it , from which you can then restore back on to your drive or a new drive if needs be. Absolutely simple to do and quick in comparison to getting files off the drive by other means.

Kind regards

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 03:31:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Thank you
Just to let you know, I am currently running the WD tool, full scan however it started off well, and then all of a sudden usage fills up to 100% again and the whole thing comes to a near halt - it's going to be a long night!

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部