12345Next
Back New
Author: Sinialtstar

WD Black on It's way out?

[Copy link]
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:31:23 Mobile | Show all posts
..and then carries on for a while all normal anyway I will keep on it and let it run its course
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:31:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Have you done a thorough virus check on the drive?

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 03:31:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Not yet, Windows did one automatically a week ago (it pops up on the notifications) but I will do one, when this check as finished

Kind Regards

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:31:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Okay and please let us know how your getting on.

You could also do a Malwarebytes scan. Download it and run it in the Pro version as I think you have 30 trial days or something like that.

Malwarebytes Cybersecurity for Windows, Mac, Android & iOS

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 03:31:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi there, So I spent all last evening with this, and through the night unattended.

1st I used the WD Tool, and ran its full check to look for bad sectors. I did this in Safe Mode, and it would run for a bit (about 30 seconds when the usage graph showed the usage had dropped down) and then stop when the usage went back up to 100% but showing no data transfer (for a couple of minuets) - the estimated time on this was going to be 6 hours, so I went and had some tea.

I came back up later on, and it had got to about 70% the way through and it was whizzing through non stop. and finished in about an hours time. it came back as no bad sectors.

So Staying in Safe mode I ran a Malware Bytes Scan, and this found some Rootkits on my USB hard drive (G) I cleared these off, and re scanned - all ok (through this time, again the WD Black (D) was behaving normally.

This morning I ran a Windows Defender check, and no issues to report and again the drive was behaving normally (see attachment), Usage showing, but also data transfer. where as before it is 100% usage but no data transfer.

I wonder if my next step, is to clear anything off it (run the image software) and re-format it and see how it behaves from there. If it carries on I wonder if it's early signs of hard drive failure that does not involve disc sectors (i.e the electronics of the drive)

Kind Regards

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:31:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Glad I suggested you ran Malwarebytes. rootkits are a real pain. I'm a little concerned that you might not have found everything and would suggest you run RougeKiller as it sometimes detects stuff other AV's don't, even Malawarebytes as good as it is.

RogueKiller Anti-Malware Free Download: Best Malware Removal

Let us know how you get on.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:31:26 Mobile | Show all posts
I would run the above before you do anything with taking an image, just to be sure.

Yes drives can start t fail for all kinds of reasons but on the electronics side of things it would normally be an instant thing, not a gradual downhill process.

After you run the above suggestion and you have taken an image of the drive I would suggest you clean the drive thoroughly by using the diskpart function of windows.

I will send you a message with detail to carryout that process.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:31:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Having discovered your rootkit issue I would make sure all drives are thoroughly checked as rootkits have a habit of replicating themselves over all drives available. You should also check out anything to do with online transactions that make on your PC, such as banking, credit cards, any purchases, emails. and even your mobile, if you've connected it or USB sticks etc.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 03:31:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks I will do There where 6, and after researching, nothing serious just adware from app installs that I did on a previous PC - (this my USB hard drive (G) they where on) However I will do full checks again this evening.

PUP.Optional.AuslogicsDiskDefrag,

PUP.Optional.InstallCore,

PUP.Optional.Conduit,
Generic.Malware/Suspicious,

PUP.Optional.ASK,
(Apparently releated to "Ask" toolbar, and I don't ever remeber installing that)

Generic.Malware/Suspicious,

these have all gone now, according to MWB however I will do more thorough scans this evening.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:31:28 Mobile | Show all posts
PUP's are not rootkits, so are you saying the rootkit issue was a red herring and didn't exist?

Better to be sure anyway.

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部