12345678910Next
Back New
Author: gop

A PC with staggered boot sequence?

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 03:37:17 Mobile | Show all posts
It's not doing a conventional restart though as would happen with a hibernation fail (or normal) restart it's doing a distinct boot, pause for 3 seconds and then power up.

That's like a number of MBs do so they initialise they detect the initial components first before then powering the boot with the configuration.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
"Three seconds" is just a standard "South Bridge" short power cycle, I assumed. It's quite usual to do a quick power cycle if you abort part way through a boot, or on exiting Setup (or anything else that makes some changes and wants everything back to its starting position rather than continuing).

Use magic Report

This one is where the PC fans and everything shutdown, the lights go off and nobody is home for a bit.  Normally on a reboot sequence the fans etc stay running.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:37:18 Mobile | Show all posts
It's quite common to get a brief power-cycle on a POST restart as it makes sure everything is reset so there's no surprises. It's trivial to do as what used to be the "South Bridge" does all the work of timing it and everything.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:37:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Folks, thanks again for your replies. I love the blatantly obvious things, like, are you using the sata cable that came with the case! I wasn't. The media creation tool as an issue for installing windows 10, was something I read online, not sure if they use a disk.

I agree a new build, fresh os, however, the os that I have is technically a clone of a fresh install. So far, kodi hasn't stutterd once, using Netflix and prime. Chrome still does, and windows explorer.

I haven't got around to switching the 4k to plasma 1080, will do tomorrow.

Chuckmountain : the boot sequence in getting (winds up for 1 second, clicks off, everything, then 3 seconds later, clicks back on). You said a boot like this would leave the fans running? Does yours do this? Mines is dead for 3 secs.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:37:19 Mobile | Show all posts
I forgot to mention, I would never turn off a computer by simply cutting the power from the plug or psu. I'm not putting the PC into hibernation or sleep. I click the shutdown button.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:37:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Yep, mine as you describe.  It posts a bit then eerily silence for a number of seconds before springing back to life.  It's a bit like it has flatlined then suddenly back with you.

Try changing the resolution to 1080p first without disconnecting, should have the same effect.

Yes but you had the stuttering before didn't you.  Whilst you can (these days) clone easily enough I wouldn't recommend it in this instance.

Can you post a video of your stuttering?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:37:21 Mobile | Show all posts
There's really an issue of whether you are still in the EFI/BIOS or Windows is running. Unless you're doing some kind of failed Hibernate/Sleep/SaveToRAM resume (as it's confused into thinking that's required, or even configured that way somewhere) it's likely to be in the EFI, where things like ACPI and TPM can wreak havoc.

I'd certainly go into EFI/BIOS Setup and look at / photograph every menu and every sub-menu (and post here if possible).

Plus of course the EFI/BIOS may have been designed that way... that's one for Motherboard support. (A lot of complicated things happen on boot, some changes might upset things that have already happened so a power-cycle reboot is usually done in that case. I do wonder if a BIOS has ever shipped where all the ACPI code is actually correct. Seems unlikely.)

More obscure things:

If it might be in Windows 10 then I don't see anyone mentioning the System File Checker, so if I didn't miss it I'd try that just in case (seems unlikely, but a good thing anyway). Run a Command Prompt as Admin (right mouse button its icon and select that) and type (well, copy and paste) with an Internet connection:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth
if that is okay then
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
if that is okay then
sfc /scannow

(If dism reports corruption the next step is
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
which is pretty safe, but I'd have a backup first. Then sfc etc.)

Also look in the Device Manager for missing drivers and fix them. Also worth a photo (right mouse button the "This PC", select Manage then Device Manager). Oh and while in the Manage menu Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System might be interesting.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:37:21 Mobile | Show all posts
OK I get exactly this intermittently. My system is about 7 years old now but it's always done this.

ASUS MB, Intel CPU etc.

On my system I isolated it to an intermittent "hiccup" with the CPU overclock I have. For some reason, occasionally on reboot it forces a complete shutdown and restart as you describe. I have no idea why it's only occasional and I could never get it to reliably replicate as sometimes when I soft reboot it happens other times when I hard reboot. I've not changed the BIOS settings in 7 years and only have a fairly standard OC on the CPU.

As you've said you've not OC'd it's not hugely relevant but I think it's just something with ASUS. I *HATE* ASUS incidentally. Will never ever have another ASUS MB but I know many others love them so YMMV.

G

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:37:22 Mobile | Show all posts
I took a few pics of bios menus. Interestingly, in post delay setting, it's set for 3 seconds. You'll see in boot priority, windows boot manager and Samsung ssd, there both one ssd.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部