View: 1397|Reply: 63

Sports Personality of the Year SPOTY 2012

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:22 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Well this year we have some immense performances.
Has the competition for SPOTY ever been more fearce?

Wiggins, Farah, Murray are favourites. Difficult to see the winner coming from outside that.  And stupendous that Farah's achievement was, Wiggins and Murray's wins have been so long coming for any British sportsperson in their respective sports it is difficult to see him beating either of them.

But in any other year there are several others who would have been deserved winners.

So, a straight fight between Wiggins and Murray I think

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:23 Mobile | Show all posts
If it was on sporting achievement then I would give it to Murray but because it's the British public voting it will probably go to Mo or Ennis
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:24 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:42:25 Mobile | Show all posts
The bookies favourites seem to be Wiggins, Murray, Farah then Ennis
BBC Sports Personality Odds | Outright Bets | easyodds.com

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:42:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Unfortunately it isn't actually a 'personality' contest, otherwise I would agree.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 21:42:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Its unprecedented what we have seen this year. At least we know it won't be some chav footballer getting it. We all know it isnt really about personality, its about sporting achievment

Wiggins - first Brit to win the TdF ever! A truly amazing achievement and on top of a season that included victory in Paris-Nice, Dauphine and Tour of Romandie not to mention crushing the field in the Olympic TT. His candidacy is stronger than that of Cavendish who won last year but I think is diminished by his reliance on the Sky Team to deliver the Tour victory. Wiggins is not a squashbuckling rider in the mould of a Merckx, Hinault or dare I say Contadour therefore for me, much as I admire him i would not put his achievement at the top

Farah - His journey is phenomenal. His performances gripped a nation that had become used to british distance athletes being burnt off in the last 600m of most races even if they were in contention. He also seems a thoroughly nice bloke however and this is, i admit really harsh and in no way a comment on his achievement - he was born in Somalia. Of course we consider him British and probably rightly so but for me personally this does ever so slightly diminish the achievement. Before the PC brigade savage me  my opinion here has no racist motivation. I have the same view on the awards to Rusedski and Lennox Lewis.

Murray - Lets face it his personality has not been endearing and I fear there are still many small minded people who will never see past his teenage comments regarding the England football team. However his sporting achievement is unquestionable and now cemented by his first tennis major. Olympic gold and silver and now US Open Champion is an incredible achievement particularly after having to carry the hopes of British tennis single handedly for the almost last ten years. His consistency in reaching finals/semi's of majors means that it cannot been seen as a flash in the pan or a weakened field. Add to that that he has had to beat Federer (the greatest of all time) and Djokovic (5 time major title winner) to achieve his goal then you have to take your hat off to him.

Ennis - To be honest I would give the women a category of their own. she deserves it. She had to deal with immense expectation and pressure to deliver her Gold medal. she also fought back from injury and disappointment to get their and her multi disciplined event commands so much respect. The only negative I can find about her performance is that I don't believe that there was another athlete who really pushed her. Her score was very respectable but not at the true pinnacle. She has not broken 7000 points yet which would elevate her to the top 3 of all time.

I haven't been an avid follower of the Paraolympics but I think there is a good shout for the likes of David Weir and a few more. They have to overcome so much more to reach the levels they do and deserve recognition at the same level as the able bodied athletes.

Such a tough choice this year. For me it would be Murray or Wiggins but I biased as a cycling fan and a scot. i just believe that their achievements are not even once in a generation but once in a lifetime and for that we should salute them.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:42:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Good analysis.

Others who might have won in any other year include Hoy, Ansley for their success this year and their unparalleled lifetime acheivments.
Mcilroy if he wins the PGA play offs on top of his open, and world number 1, even more so if he helps Europe win the Ryder Cup, and announces he will play for Team GB at the 2016 Olympics...

Though even if Hamilton was to land his second GP title, I am not sure he has completely endeared himself to the british public these last few years since he won in 2008.

Truly a great summer of British Sport.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:30 Mobile | Show all posts
In any other year Murray would be a dead cert for this but Wiggins, Weir and Farrah are also in with a shout. Lets not forget Rory Mcilroy aswell, a fantastic year for him.
As for Murray not having a personality, I think the emotion he showed both at Wimbledon and in the Olympic final has finally endeared him to the British public, he obviously was already a Scottish favourite. I hope Andy wins

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:30 Mobile | Show all posts
It simply has to be Jessica Ennis for me. The disappointment of missing out in 2008 and coming back to win in the way she did was superb. She's an amazing athelete

And unlike Murray (who was in his 5th slam) or Wiggins whom won the TDF over many stages - Ennis had to perform in those few seconds that mattered. If she cocked up the hurdles to begin with all bets are pretty much off

The pressure must have been enormous and she made it look 'easy'. On top of that she's a lovely girl and I fancy her

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:31 Mobile | Show all posts
i agree she is great but when all is said and done does anyone care too much about athletics?

Use magic Report

1234567Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部