Author: loz

Sports Personality of the Year SPOTY 2012

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:42:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Interestingly both Wiggins and Murray have each done something 'historic' - first win for nn years in their sport - and won an Olympic Gold.

On Wiggins side, he has won what is regarded as one of the toughest events in all sports and certainly the biggest event in cycling, and has also now won a total of 7 olympic medals making him equal highest with Chris Hoy.

On Murray's side, tennis has been more popular in TV terms at least because of Wimbledon, and so he has a slightly bigger profile with the voting public.  Had he won Wimbledon, there would have been no doubt in my mind he would have won as that is the grand prize for a British tennis player.   But that Olympic medal has most certainly helped his case, as he can go into the vote on equal footing with any of the olympians in it. He is a fully fleged Team GB member. So anyone thinking "we should vote for an Olympian because it only comes around every 4 years for them", can still vote for Murray too.

I am probably making these arguements far too complicated of course, whereas the British public will simply vote for the one with the nicest bum. So Ennis has it.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Ennis or Wiggins for me.
And much like others here, would very much like to give it to the very lovely Jessica

And I'm very pleased to say I was one of the first to clock her 'talent' 5 years ago.  

http://www.avforums.com/forums/general-chat/611799-athletics-jessica-ennis-just-me.html

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 21:42:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Murray is currently 11/4 (2.75/1) at some places - seems like a good bit of value there. could be worth £20?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Murray for me. This year he's won a Major and tennis' 'fifth major', the Olympic Gold. He beat Federer and Nole in the finals. His results at the Slams for the year are SF, QF, F and W, only Djokovic did better, but Murray won the OG. Murray ended a 76 year wait for a Slam in Britain and he did it in a sport where it's up to only the player.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Wiggins gets my vote. In one year he won the first British Tour de France ever (not since 1936 or some other point, he is the first and therefore unequalled) and became the most decorated British Olympian ever. That's two separate achievements that are unparalled. Add to this, the fact he seems to be universally regarded as an all round lovely bloke. Put bluntly, he should be a shortlist of one.

I'd also argue for the removal of Murray from the list on technical grounds as he doesn't actually have a personality.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:41 Mobile | Show all posts
To be honest only in the UK do we make a big deal of the 76 year wait for a GS winner. It is common rule to never mention tennis events before 1968 (the Open era) because before that professional tennis players were not allowed to participate. Therefore Murray is the first British Slam winner, in what is now known as tennis.

Top two candidates are Murray and Wiggins IMO.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:42:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Have to pull you up here as it illustrates precisely what is wrong with the world

A journalist was taking the **** at his expense because Scotland failed to qualify for the world cup. In the spirit of the same joke, Andy replied he would support "anyone but England"

Andy Murray is not anti-English. His girlfriend is English and he lives in England. The only people who keep talking about "the England joke" - out of context - are the hate stirrers, the ignorant and yes, the press. Anyone with a sense of humour would not give the remark a second thought. And people wonder why Andy learned not to say much to the media

Use magic Report

I stand by my comment and as a scot I feel that I am well positioned to comment. I don't disagree with the point you make however it was naive of someone in the public eye to make such a quip when there are such unscrupulous reporters around.  Also Andy does have an introverted personality and until this year was quite difficult to warm to with some of his on court emotion. The point I am making essentially is that there are still many hate stirrers and ignorant xenophobes who are eligible to vote in SPOTY who will not choose to recognise the achievement for whats its worth. Lets hope that I am wrong.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:42:42 Mobile | Show all posts
He isn't helped though by having celebrity fans like Sean Connery on stage with him saying that Murray "isn't British. He is Scottish", and hence fuelling the debate...
Murray is doing the right thing though by saying nothing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I go for Murray. I could be wrong but in the Cycling is it not the case that it is very much a Team Effort on the Track. I know Murray has a Team behind him But once he goes on Court it is all down to Him. So it has to be Murray Olympic Gold/Silver and U.S. Open Champion.

Use magic Report

1234567Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部