View: 2675|Reply: 179

All road vehicles should have autonomous emergency braking

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 23:39:48 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I think all road vehicles should have autonomous emergency braking.  I can't find any stats on what percentage of accidents are rear end shunts, but I think it's a lot.  These would be significantly reduced with AEB systems installed.
Having driven a car with an AEB system for 9 months, it's kicked in a few times.  Usually when the car in front is in the process of turning left or right and I'm not slowing down in anticipation of the road being clear.  Sometimes because I haven't started braking soon enough.
Never had it prevent an accident, but I'm confident that it would in most circumstances.
What do you think?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:39:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:39:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Mines kicked in a few times unnecessarily and probably scared the poop out of the people behind me (and myself), still under warranty the cars going in for ACC recalibration in a couple of weeks, thank god it’s a warranty claim as it’s bloody expensive to do, it’s also jammed the brakes on at a crisp packet blowing past the front of the car.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:39:51 Mobile | Show all posts
You should probably be grateful it hasn't caused any yet

By which I mean, if it's being over-zealous (you've said non of the incidents would have resulted in an accident without autonomous braking) then one of these days some human who isn't paying attention is going to run into the back of you because they weren't expecting you to brake.  We're in that transition phase where smart cars are at the mercy of humans in other vehicles

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:39:52 Mobile | Show all posts
No thanks, i pay attention to the road in front.

Remove that skill and people will rely on the autobraking to save them from crashing. If the system fails, the driver will blame the car.

Slopey shoulders time.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:39:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Perhaps if people kept more of an eye on the car in front at junctions/roundabouts there wouldn't be a need for AEB.
We are making things for some that cannot be bothered to use the things we were born with!
I agree with @mjn on this one.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:39:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I’m with @Stuart Wright on this one.

Firstly those systems have reduced my car insurance significantly. I mean £136 fully comp on a 380Hp family hatchback is pretty awesome isn’t it? Or what about £276 for an fast and loud Mercedes-AMG suv.

But more importantly I’ve had two interventions over the last four years where I am man enough to say that I could not have prevented it myself if the system didn’t kick in. My reaction time simply couldn’t deal with those particular situations.

And then there is another benefit where the components make up the full package of automatic cruise control. I find it extremely useful in traffic james especially.

I never buy the argument that it replaces your own thinking or alertness. It’s just a final stop, a safety guard. I’m sorry but that would be like saying I don’t need an altimeter and speed sensor on my parachute reserve as I should pay attention and pull my main one.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:39:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Totally agree. I loved my Passatt and the AEB / ACC feature. It was one of the main reasons I got one TBH.

I've also found that driving my non AEB equipped 2006 250BHP Z4, I now leave much larger gaps to the cars in front. This is because that's what the autonomous system did and I am quite sure my reactions are not quicker than it is.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:39:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Too often artificial intelligence etc. increase human sloppiness, sloppiness kills.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:39:56 Mobile | Show all posts
When I was looking for my next car, I thought about a Honda CRV, there were two versions available, one with driver aid pack and one without. After watching a youtube film on the dap I decided never in a million years. I take a very hard test every three years to keep my driving standards up and I'm damned if I'm going to let some automated machine make my decisions. Call me a Luddite but I love technology.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部