Author: Stuart Wright

All road vehicles should have autonomous emergency braking

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 23:40:04 Mobile | Show all posts
1. So there is negligence on behalf of the driver, what makes you think that such a driver wouldn't do that if it didn't have technology aids? Idiots will be idiots.
2. First of all you should have cleared the car But if you don't and want to let nature do it thing and drop it off over time then why not press the button to disable the sensors if they annoy you? It is what I do
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes there was negligence on behalf of the driver, but if you were relying on the system as he obviously was and there is a fault then you won't notice it. Idiots will be idiots, but even driving a car like this you still need your wits about you and not rely entirely on the car to do its thing.

I couldn't clear the car as it was a heavy snow storm and I was trying to drive uphill on a layer of snow and couldn't stop the car otherwise I would have been stuck and it took all my concentration.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:06 Mobile | Show all posts
If you can turn it off, I doubt the actuaries are basing their insurance quotes on the feature, but perhaps other aspects of car safety/fixability?

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:06 Mobile | Show all posts
Including the cost of repairs after an accident, the sensors alone must cost a lot.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Seems like a nice split of opinions.

At £900 / year for insurance, i already pay more than most.

My car has no lane departure warning, AEB, active cruise control, auto parking, crash collision system, powered steering, etc.

Already got my eye on a weekend car to go with my daily driver. It will have the same lack of “features”.

Somebody mentioned power steering, servo braking, etc somewhere, maybe a different thread, but they’re different. Without power steering, not many people could turn the wheel in a big heavy modern car, but you still gotta turn the wheel. The car doesn’t do it for you. The same with the brakes.

Maybe people should aim for higher standards, whether it is driving, hobbies, sports, qualifications, etc. Rather than just settling for “that’ll do” or “somebody will take care of that”

I dunno. I’m different, i like to be as good as i can be, no matter what i set my mind to. I like doing things, rather than let other people do them. I’ve trained in martial arts for 30 years, maybe i’m just more disciplined in life and have different goals.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:07 Mobile | Show all posts
My car is a Peugeot 308 manual 112bhp, nice and straightforward although it does have some clever features e.g. one time I had to slam on the brakes and the emergency braking cut in plus the hazards came on so the driver behind me stood a better chance of stopping in time (they were far enough back anyway).
A good balance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:08 Mobile | Show all posts
As a front seat passenger how many times have you tried to put your right foot through the car floor because the driver sitting next to you has slower reaction than you?

Same applied to automatic emergency breaking system - it has a faster reaction time.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Never........i always close my eyes as a passenger!

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:09 Mobile | Show all posts
The response time is fine, it is a matter of braking when need and not when not needed reliably.
Given Teslas go into the back of stationary police cars there is a way to go.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:11 Mobile | Show all posts
You say it like a badge of honour, I think it is a lot of money and basically two extra tyres per year

Power steering is a good example I think, lack of power steering doesn't have to be heavy at all if you know how to drive it. You can get the mechanics and physics to work with you. That doesn't mean that when you do have it that we all forget to turn the wheel.

But granted, I'm sure there are a fair few people who don't know what to do in a car without power steering, but come on which ordinary person would want one? You are talking edge cases there for a few enthusiasts like you and I

I like higher standards as well, and having luxury and aids in a vehicle most definitely contribute to that. Heck I could whistle a tune, but that will never be the same as listening to a Burmester in car setup blasting our Catfish and the Bottlemen, or sometimes even better switching it off and listening to the harmony of cylinders and dual turbo's whistling....

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部