Author: Stuart Wright

All road vehicles should have autonomous emergency braking

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 23:39:57 Mobile | Show all posts
I really would like driving to be a safe, efficient hands off experience but it is being missold.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:39:57 Mobile | Show all posts
I think you are missing the point, it is a back stop, it isn't making your decisions at all, it is there for when you haven't made the decision or haven't made it quick enough. I would argue that with the way they've been setup currently (only got experience with VW and Mercedes-AMG) you need to leave it seriously late before you get an intervention.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:39:58 Mobile | Show all posts
That sounds like a fault.  I've had no such problem with my Hyundai.  There is an audible beep and indication on the dash moments before it brakes.

Not everyone pays due attention to the road in front.  And people make mistakes.  Otherwise there would be no rear end shunts.
Have you ever tried not braking on purpose, relying on the AEB system to save you?
I want to for a video, but damn it goes against every self preservation instinct.

That's a very good point right there.  And obviously the lower insurance is indicative of lower risk.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:39:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree with @mjn, no thanks.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:39:59 Mobile | Show all posts
I'll stay with my dumb car until smart cars are ready.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:00 Mobile | Show all posts
So would you @mjn @Crafty @Trollslayer avoid any vehicle that has such system on it, and prefer to pay more in insurance? Your options are shrinking by the day. What I mean is that for a lot of cars with decent specifications it simply isn't possible to avoid it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:01 Mobile | Show all posts
No, I don't think I'm missing the point. I think that people will rely more and more on these features and less on their own driving, which could lead to bigger accidents if the system fails, ala the automatic car that killed someone in yankland. It's like people rely on cruise control and then wonder why their car has plowed into the car in front as they were relying on the car to do the driving. The driver is responsible for the car and the way it's driven, not the other way around.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:02 Mobile | Show all posts
The car that was doing a road test and where the test pilot clearly wasn't in control. That car you are referring to? Sure, people are stupid. Just imagine how stupid they are without assistive technologies, we had accidents before that came in.

Anyway, Insurance companies are there to make money not loose it. The actuaries within such companies would clearly have modelled the risks involved and demonstratively choose in favour by reducing insurance premiums for vehicles fitted with such systems.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes that is the accident I was referring to, and if it can happen on a test when the driver should be 100% awake what could happen on a long motorway journey with the driver paying no attention at all.

My car has parking sensors, and in the snow in April the front of the car was iced up, the sensors went mad and I had to keep clearing the snow off, what would happen to the cameras and other sensors in those weather conditions.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:03 Mobile | Show all posts
A very - no, extremely - important point.
As technology continues to encroach we become more dependant on it.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部