Author: Stuart Wright

All road vehicles should have autonomous emergency braking

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:26 Mobile | Show all posts
My Previous Volvo V40 had it along with all sorts of other safety features including a Pedestrian Airbag that would come out if you hit one and cover the bonnet and windscreen.  (Luckily never had the need to test it).

My current EV Does not have any autonomous braking.  And I feel it would be better having it as a backup. We all feel we are great drivers but its easy to get distracted and if it helps with that moment of distraction its worth it.

Also remember no matter how good you are there are a million idiots out there every day.

This one almost became a bonnet mascot last week, if I had been distracted it would have been nice to have AEB to back me up.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:26 Mobile | Show all posts
And it’s not taking away from that at all. It is a system of last resort. As I said, I’ve had only two interventions over 4 years. If it didn’t would it have been a crash, we will thankfully never know for certain.

It doesn’t mean you don’t have to anticipate any longer. This is not the same as autonomous vehicles at all.

Heck I could throw strikes all day Long when I was a pitcher at baseball. But when I didn’t I was glad my catcher was there to help me.

I honestly don’t see why anyone is arguing against a useful safety feature that helps reduce road traffic incidents. If you drive normally and antipate well than you wouldn’t even know it’s there.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Other than the situations where you need to turn it off

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits

Use magic Report

No - it's a system designed as another layer of defence to prevent accidents.  You think people are really going to not brake when a deer jumps out or a child runs out from behind a car because 'emergency brake as got this' ?  They won't even have time to make that decision - their brain will have made it for them.  But the computer will have already made it.

Use magic Report

I.e. it's too good.  Same reason they banned auto transmissions.  It takes away from the skill required because it performs better than a human would.

Use magic Report

Totale agree. And even in normaal cars, take The VAG DSG gearbox, endless threads where the manual boys keep bringing up the argument that manual is quicker. Hmm yes perhaps in the hands of 1% of the top 5% fastest drivers in the word; for the rest of the population it simply is not. Again I’m not afraid to admit that I simply cannot shift gears as quickly as a DSG gearbox can.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:28 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't know why half this thread is arguing about ABS n F1 - as I stated the average driver lacks the necessary skill to provide optimum braking at all times, in all conditions. ABS helps. In F1 (or any professional motorsport) the drivers are in a controlled environment - there are less unknowns and they have the requisite skill to provide optimum braking - Of course they sometimes make mistakes and thats all part of the game.

Yes I do, I have seen people using adaptive speed control on motorways, they don't brake, they don't even lift off, they rely on the car to distance themselves from the car in front and just keep their foot on the throttle. Shocking ? absolutely, but there you have it, lazy humans.

If you cannot be bothered to drive properly, stop. I don't see why we should increase the number of idiot aids to aid the continuing dumbing down of everything which some people seem so fond of doing nowadays.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Because you brought it up?

PS: ABS has only been mentioned in 6 out of 70 posts, and that includes this one  

Use magic Report

It's  because it destroys the argument about "skilled drivers don't need ABS, auto transmission etc".  The reason they are not allowed in F1 is because even the best drivers in the world will drive better/faster/safer with them.  If they wouldn't there would be no need to ban them as no one would want them (and the extra expense/weight etc)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部