No need - it has power steering.  Would need a gym membership if it didn't
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:40:21 Mobile | Show all posts
So your "insurance saving" could be down to any number of things, almost certainly not solely braking assist.

I agree with the sentiment that people will just rely on the technology. I feel that this is different from power steering/ABS etc. Power steering is for convenience. A skilled driver has no need for ABS, even in poor weather/grip scenarios. For the average driver it provides a way to stop/slow a car safely in those poor conditions, it elevates their ability to a higher level when they need it.

Auto braking systems take control away from a driver, "the car does it for me". Humans are lazy. What happens if the system develops a fault ? as posters have already attested the systems give false alarms.
The other concern I have is I don't really trust manufacturers. Engineers are clever people, they can make clever stuff. The problem comes when the accountants get involved, costs get cut, compromises are made and the end result is at best a sub optimal solution. I don't really want someone driving behind me, relying on some device that maybe isn't as good as the driver believes it to be.

I also have an uneasy feeling that people will also see it as an opportunity to avoid taking responsibility "the car should do it for me and it didn't".

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:21 Mobile | Show all posts
The technology is banned in formula one racing because it is too good - are they skilled drivers?

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:22 Mobile | Show all posts
I must admit I'm more optimistic than most here about drivers 'delegating' emergency braking to the assistance system - as I see it the driver drives as normal - if something unexpected happens: car pulls out against right of way, deer etc - driver jumps on the brake.  Auto assist may get to it a fraction of a second sooner, which could make the difference.

Some drivers already don't pay attention - giving this to them has to be good. Getting them off the road would be better.

Use magic Report

Exactly, I do not believe that all those in this thread truthfully can react quicker than this technology can. And ofcourse when you can, then this technology will never intervene. Therefore it surely is a win win situation.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I do not believe anyone* in this thread believes they can react faster.

*well, maybe one

Use magic Report

I agree on the one actually believing it And it might even be true.

I’d rather have a vehicle behind me with the system integrated, opposed to an individual who says they don’t need it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I wouldn't class ABS as a convenience tool, it's like emergency braking in some ways, it takes over when it detects a potential error by the driver.
I think it's a mistake to compare convenience features ie power steering with safety features. Emergency braking will come and I think it's right t should, but the technology is still in it's infancy and I'm not convinced it's fully ready for mainstream yet, that's the only reason for my reticence.
I seem to remember the same fuss about seat belts when they came in, and to a lesser extent airbags. Remember the reports in the early days about airbags going off inappropriately? Yet we now accept them. And wasn't there the occasional worry about seat belt pre-tensioners? Exploding seatbelt warning

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:40:23 Mobile | Show all posts
I still know people refusing to wear a seat belt as it gets in the way of them controlling the vehicle. Cotswallop.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部