Author: nabby

What social class would you put yourself into?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:14:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Working class, grew up on a council estate, divorced parents for half my childhood (4 siblings), had classmates die of drugs and go to jail. School has its own policeman/ outpost, now so I assume no better now than then.

Now I am probably in the top 10% earners, but my mother lives in the same house I grew up in, (owns it now thanks to Maggie).

I’m still working class, but class doesn’t bother me, I don’t see race/sexuality/class etc, if your a dick then your a dick and we will not be friends. There are lots of knob jockeys in the world, whatever class you are.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I was simply giving you an example of the bubbles(my own as a child and adult) we all tend to live in or have lived in and how your formative years shape how we perceive, evaluate and relate to others quite significantly.

Essentially you don't see it and it doesn't make sense because it is an attitude, perception and way of thinking that you were or were not exposed to during your formative years - it is internal cognitive and subconscious patterns of thinking and viewing the world relative to the culture, society and group one was brought up in. It's a generalisation and not everyone has precisely the same attitudes and thoughts, but as a rule it tend to sum up 'British people' at least those over 30yrs old (I can't speak for or have much experience with the thinking and experiences of younger people).

Class in the UK is not about MONEY. Money is merely a consequence and often a required facilitator of experiences, lifestyles and expectation of class.
Class in the UK is an attitude to and perception of the world.
It's about how you relax and what you do in your spare time.
Where you shop, what you eat, your entertainment and what you talk about.

Do you go to a museum or art gallery because you want to or because you have to/want to impress someone.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
That's interesting because from where I'm sitting ALL of those examples are driven and facilitated primarily by money, not social class.

'Class' in the context as used above is a consequence of wealth, not the other way around.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:14:52 Mobile | Show all posts
I disagree - facilitated, but not driven by money.
It is different for an adult than for a child - if you are an adult that was brought up working class yet made your way in the world to wealth, it generally doesn't change your tastes or what gives you pleasure and enjoyment in life.
You may be able to afford things you weren't able to, but the difference is whether or not you really enjoy or want to spend an evening at the Opera drinking champagne or would really prefer spending an evening in the boozer with your mates drinking beer.
That is a massive generalisation, but I believe it does hold true for a lot of people.

For children brought up in a household that is finacialy what would be considered middle class, it shapes expectations, tastes, and world views.
The opertunities and expectations are greater for a middle class child than for a working class child.
It does not preclude working class children going on to be financially middle class adults, but it will be their children that are really middle class, shaped by their childhood.

Use magic Report

Consequence of wealth, and choice of priorities as well in my opinion.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Is not class or more so status all about impressing someone in the past history  and a direct result of ones wealth ?.  I'm on me hols this week and we have visited quite a few Trust/heritage sites and all are/we're designed and re designed through history for the sole purpose to to impress ones wealth  .

Are we saying that class is more than ones wealth and the inbreeding of the old upper class made for a more cultured breed that is now lost ?

If so good , but new money seems to be just the same in many and all respects , the goal posts may have become closer together for the lower class  but the rich and powerful  are moving further away from the rest and a faster ( fake ish) rate and this class that still have all the power over us.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
There was always a gulf between the landed gentry in their castles with moats and floating duck islands and the rest of us...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Many of that landed gentry sold up the castles moved that money back to the royal court of St whatever . Quite a few are still land owners though but always where it counts the most .

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 00:14:53 Mobile | Show all posts
It wouldn’t be smart to be a land owner where it counts least would it

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:14:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Nope I agree they it be more big smarts than us , Boris is a prime example of what the advantage of birth and upbringing and the best teaching in the land  plus that standing and pure class and culture can achieve for one . Something to look up to and admire .

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部