Author: nabby

What social class would you put yourself into?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:14:48 Mobile | Show all posts
I thought your point was that there isn’t a class system in the U.K.?

“Keeping Up Appearances” was based entirely on the class system.  Hyacinth Bucket (“bouquet”) was working class, as were the rest of her family but she was a snob and tried to convey that she was middle-upper class through superiority traits and behaviours. It’s a perfect example of the class system.

Whilst you’re right that people’s behaviours determine what kind of person they are, those actions are often the result of wanting to be seen as a higher class than others.  That’s the fault of the person and their upbringing, not the class but it still exists.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
If people can change their class wouldn't she have been middle'ish
Hell i must be middle 'ish if it comes to wealth

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
In my part of the world 'class' is measured in acres, not £

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:14:49 Mobile | Show all posts
I guess that comes from “landed gentry” and the upper classes in the area being the Lord of the Manor.  Still the same around my parts here in Cheshire too.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
David Coleman. Montreal Olympics, 1976.

"And there goes Juantorena down the back straight, opening his legs and showing his class"

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
@Bl4ckGryph0n

I think we're both coming at this from different directions. I'm stating that there is still a definite class system across the UK.  This is determined by the family you are born into, your wealth, your location, your schooling etc.  As per @The Dude's post earlier, your class is often relatively set even if you work hard to progress a career or move to a nicer area etc.  Essentially, you are who you are.

I believe you're stating that the class you are doesn't directly determine the person you are, which is also true.  I've known and worked with many people who would be identified as upper class. Many of them were lovely people who I would still call friends and they never pushed their standing on anyone else although it's clear they came from a different background or had more wealth. However, there were also people who would regularly flaunt their standing/wealth in an attempt to belittle others.  In the same way, I know many working/middle class people who would do anything for anybody even if they had nothing themselves, and an equal number of working/middle class people that wouldn't do anything for anyone and resented the fact they were the 'same' rather than a higher class.

As you say, everyone can choose their character/behaviours to a degree but not everyone can choose their social standing, whether we like it or not.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The title 'Lord of the Manor' is quite often purchased for a sum of money.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:14:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Spot on, once upon a time, the class system was rigid, you were born into one class and you stayed there. There was no such thing as social mobility, and if you could better yourself your class label still stuck.  Things have changed and people from working class parents can now find themselves labelled middle class (willingly or not).  Breaching the barrier into Upper Class is a separate issue, so I would suggest that in that regard we still have a social elite.  But the days of Upper, Middle and Working class are going if not gone in many areas. In summary, I'd say vestiges of the class system still exist, but given a few years (decades ?) it will have disappeared.  
To say that the existence of 1st class travel is evidence of a thriving class society (of the kind the poll is about) would only have any credence if it involved segregation, ie refusing to sell a 1st class ticket to someone based on perceived social values e.g. a blue collar
Of course it's possible to argue the old class values have been swept away and replaced by a new denominator ie wealth, but that would be completely different to the Class system Nabby is interested in researching.  I haven't voted because I don't think I fit any of the categories, but no doubt I am labelled middle class by others.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:14:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Years ago it was easy to see who was working class. You lived in a council house, worked darn pit. Middle class was you owned your own home had an office job such as a bank manager. Now everyone can rent or own homes, no-one works down the mines and lots of people work in offices.

If you want an example of class see Dad's Army.

Sgt Wilson - Deputy bank manager, Captain in the Royal artillery in WWI, of a higher social class than Captain Mainwaring. Wears a monocle as his eyesight is weaker in one eye.

Captain Mainwaring - Middle class bank manager, no combat experience, Captain, class conscious and threatened by him.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:14:51 Mobile | Show all posts
That and the Frost Report sketch posted earlier are good examples of how the class system was...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部