Author: gstyle

Myplanet UK Solar Panels ...... A Warning !!!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:53:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Unless you've got a challenging roof layout you should expect a full 4KW install to be £5-6K, so they have quoted way over the odds.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:53:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for that neilball will defoe get some more quotes.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:54:00 Mobile | Show all posts
We are just treading our way towards installing solar panels, Rep actually came last night said we have a suitable roof and after checking with her iPhone compass the right orientation.

We were quoted £9k for a 16 panal system, each panel having its own mini controller (as opposed to one central unit), and battery storage available from March (this would be extra) would that different design reasonably justify the difference in cost?

2 options were tabled, one being with no outlay you effectively lease your roof for 20 years, get no profit payback on excess energy you 'sell'.

Other option was a 'funded' one via Barclays home improvement loan, here you pay £117.00 pcm for 3 months, then (as explained) the energy co would see what we were actually selling and this £117.00 would be paid from those profits, so paying for the system repayments.

We are in a bungallow, in mid 60's fairly close to retiring, so hoping not to make an expensive mistake, your thoughts and advice would be very welcome.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:54:01 Mobile | Show all posts
The battery storage isn't up to scratch at the moment so not worth the extra expense. Did you check the orientation and slope of your roof before the rep came? £9k is way too much as has been said a 4kwh system should be £5-£6k.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:54:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Many Thanks Steve,
TBH Much like the o/p, i unusually responded to a cold phone call from a blocked number, let them proceed in order to get a contact number to report to BT's  prefference service.

i had 'skirmished' with the idea before so thought whats fhe harm in getting a quote - we gotta start somewhere :?.

As i said the rep checked roof orientation with her iPhone compass and stated 90%, and fine with modern panals as long as they were not North facing.

Our roof is pitched (though i've as yet not measured the actual angle), runs near true North to South, making the tiles face East or West and so any panels. No shading to the roof from tree's, buildings etc.

I am obviously wary of being excessively overcharged, i also know real quality costs (i run my own small business), not that high price represents good quality and cheaper quotes are always rubbish as such can even be better. I have nobody to seek a recommendation from.

The company that came are called Smart Save Solutions of Colchester and claim to be members of 'hies' and more importantly to me using fully qualified registered electricians. i know from site work experiences cheaper go's often means using economic migrant labour from, often from EU countries who have far lower safety standards and are less concerned about proper certification, building regulations, 17th edition etc.

While i could shop about perhaps take a cheaper quote and 'risk' being lucky, i'm not overly disuaded at this 'high' price tbh.

Alan

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:54:02 Mobile | Show all posts
As another thought, those i have spoken to say run power equipment during the day but not all at the same time, if battery storage is mot yet viable what about using storage heates charged during the day?

Alan

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:54:03 Mobile | Show all posts
If you have storage heaters that's fine but don't buy them. The amount of electric it saves isn't that massive. The bonus is the feed in tarrif. I would suggest doing research on the efficiency of different types of panel as there is a big difference but again negligible. Research the invertor as the quality of that makes a difference too.
Just bear in mind she will get a commission if you buy not if it is the right orientation or if you actually save any money but it sounds like it's roughly the right direction presuming all 16 panels are on the same side. Where abouts are you based?

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:54:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Steve,
We don't already own the storage heaters, i was just thinking more about our conservatory heating at evenning as we like to use it as a dinnng room.

all panels will be on the same side, we live in the Wickford area (Essex).

A surveyor is comming out on Saturday morning, so i can do a bit of closer interigation .

All i know about the panels is they are black Daylight type, with mini inverters but nothing of the makers.

The company sports a costomer care merit award certificate from iwa.biz independant warranty, claiming 99% customer satisfaction - but over how many customers.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:54:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Update,
Rep responded saying the mini inverters used are Enphase, type of panel is Micrcocrystaine, but maker to be used is selected by the surveyour "to best suit the particular installation" so i will not know that until he comes.

Is there makes that are not best loved, or are rated better?

Just to say i like quality over price within reasoni buy iPhones and iPads knowing much cheaper options of smartphones and pads are available, that migt well be just as capable for my needs. I have in the past had big brand name kit that was a total car crash lol!

Alan

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:54:06 Mobile | Show all posts
I will be honest here I am usually a quality man myself hence I am a samsung phone owner but when i delved(bear in mind this was over 2 years ago) the difference wasn't worth the extra. I seem to remember a new panel being developed which was double the efficiency ie over 30% but the usual suspects were around 14-17%. Without checking my notes on my laptop (don't use it any more due to an iPad purchase) it was Sun.....something the best bang for buck at the time. But in the end I went for something in the middle so I could afford the extra panels.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部