Author: gstyle

Myplanet UK Solar Panels ...... A Warning !!!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:54:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Steve, I just don't know. I asked and that is what they told me which is written on the contract. The director told me the panels are from Japan and assembled in the UK. Is Kyocera made in Japan?  Is Maxeon E series from Japan?

Wooo! It's ever so complicated.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

that side of it is appreciated Steve, all those that quoted me only spoke of similar lower output panels in their systems, two pushed the micro inverters case very hard.

I think most looking at solar, just like me find it hard to trust the ammount of daylight that can be truly useful, its that factor - and not helped by untruthful claims and caviat loaded wording further results in lack of confidence.

you buy a car, you have some idea of the fuel consumption  or performance to expect, and if for what ever reason you decide to get rid, that is (seemingly) easier done than whats been stuck on your roof.

to get the FIT the system has to be by a registered installer, panels used should comply to a minimum effective spec as part of that registration. while it helps to level the playing field, by doing so i think it severely prevents truly competitive pricing.

Only one maker of 325 watts. if they drop the product what happens the for replacement or expansion?

Alan

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The company that I am currently considering to fit SP is Eurosolar.co.uk. Do you know of anyone that has engaged with them? Their website has some data and information but I still have not got the make and model of the eSolar Panels.
I need to phone them tomorrow. I'm not 100% comfortable.

Use magic Report

Sorry didn't get notification of the last 2 messages. Emac if they can't tell you the make of panel ditch them.

Use magic Report

Get a different size?

Use magic Report

would that not sort of defeat the purpose of going bigger in the 1st place? you'd then need to have the other oanels refited to close the gap.

Alan

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:54:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Steve, Hi Alan!
Thank you for your dialogues and responses.
Just an update FYI. Eurosolar fitted 325w 11 solar panels. These panels are supplied with a free writer/tools (App) to see how they are performing etc. The dual inverter was working this morning as soon as it was connected despite the clouds and the rain albeit low energy was generated.  Eurosolar did not require a deposit.
I'm waiting for the refund (7-14 days) of £500 deposit from MyPlanet. I tracked the signed for delivery of the cancellation form and will be contacting MyPlanet in due course. I appreciate that it may take longer due to the yuletide holidays.
I think we've done the right thing.
Have a very merry Christmas everyone.
Best wishes for the new year, emyace

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Wow this has been really confusing read, disclosure - I'm in the solar industry... but I only do commercial installs (Our main client is Morrisons but also work for Asda, Tesco, Jaguar, Warburtons etc) so we know a little more than most, so Ive nothing to sell on the domestic level. But I'm quite willing to give advice as I hate all the small installers ripping people off as it gives the whole industry a bad name.

@SteveCritten as you say the important thing is the kWp size of the system, the number of panels is irrelevant. Efficiency is a bit of a misnomer in solar as all it refers to is the amount of light the panel can turn into electric from the area covered by the panels. Therefore if you've got a large roof you could use a lower efficiency panel but more of them e.g. 20 x 200w panels = 4000w (4kW) or 16 x 250w panels = 4000w or if using Sunpower panels 12 x 333w = 3999w.

The more efficient a panel is the smaller it needs to be to give an equivalent output so if you look at a typical 250w panel its 167cm x 99cm if you go for a very efficient module like Sunpowers Maxeon series then a 333w panel is about 150cm x 101cm. This smaller size means you can fit a larger system on a smaller roof. The only down size of this is that Sunpower know the value of their panels and they are nearly twice as much to buy than a standard panel (they are very good but you get what you pay for).

Whats important here is the size of the roof available, if you look at the cost of a system then about 50% of the cost is the panels and the rest is fixed costs - scaffold profit etc. The larger you make a system the only real additional cost is for more panel, so your overall cost per kW of panel installed is lower due to being able to spread the fixed costs over a larger system and thats the key. THE MOST IMPORTANT FIGURE IN A SOLAR SYSTEM IS THE COST PER KW OF PANEL INSTALLED or as we call it in the industry £/kWp.

Now thats not to say that cost is the way to buy a system as its not, the old adage YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR is very true, as has been pointed out beware your warranties. Solar is a relatively new industry and a lot of the players in the market won't be around in a few years so stick to the biggest players in order to try and pick the long term winners for your warranties.

Panel Manufacturers I'd stick to Yingli Solar, Trina Solar, Canadian Solar, JA Solar, REC Solar, BENQ, Sunpower, SunEdison, LG, Panasonic (although these are expensive for what you get), Hyundai, Solarworld.

Inverter manufacturers, I'd stick to string inverters at the moment, the companies behind the micro inverters are still pretty young and the technologies are not very old although they undoubtedly will produce more power than string inverters over the system life time. Expect to pay £1000 to 1500 more for a micro inverter system than for a string inverter system. Manufacturers stick to European companies - SMA, ABB, Fronius, Schneider although I am looking at one Chinese company at the moment Huawei.

As has been said £5-7k for a 4kW system is about right but it will depend on things like how difficult the scaffold is, slate roof's cost more to do. That would be for a standard concrete tile roof with chinese panels and a string inverter. Expect upto £9k for Sunpower on a slate roof with a difficult scaffold say over a conservatory on a 3 storey building.

@emyace Eurosolar Ive never heard of but the data sheet for the panels lists Ulica as the manufacturer who are a Chinese maker of lower end panels, they are a 325w panel as they are a 72 cell panel - usual is 60 cell (thats a big panel 200cm x 100cm) its not a high efficiency panel its just got more cells in it. Cant say for sure but I'm not aware of them manufacturing in the UK (theres only about 6 or so in the UK)

If anybody wants any advice pls drop me an email at phil.roberts at gmienergy.co.uk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Oh and south facing panels is a bit of a myth, its all to do with how many kWh's a system will generate dependent on the location its in, if your on the south coast then a North facing roof could well still give a reasonable payback, we don't see massive reductions on east/west facing roofs but undoubtedly the best results are from south facing so where possible south is best but you've got to work with what you've got!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
@emyace has your installer given you your handover pack as I'd be interested to see what it says on your MCS certificate as the panel installed as I can't find that panel on the MCS database.

@blankscreen the certification body required is MCS Microgeneration Certification Scheme - Home check your installed equipment and installer is registered here. Daylight panels are also a myth all panels generate in daylight just some marginally more than others.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部