View: 2010|Reply: 98

The No Man's Sky VR Thread

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:19:39 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Just in case you've been in Outer Mongolia for the last couple of weeks No Man's Sky Beyond update is being released on the 14th August. Here's the Beyond release trailer:

The game had a controversial launch three years ago because Sean Murray, the guy that founded the developer, did interviews where he mentioned stuff that they were working on to be in the game rather than stuff they had finished and would be in the game, so it launched with loads of features people thought would be in there missing. It got nicknamed No Man's Lies lol

Here's the original E3 2014 trailer:

And basically everything was missing or nowhere near as impressive and didn't come close to matching the ridiculous amount of hype that was generated after a couple of E3s and several interviews around that sort of time.

Now Hello Games COULD have done what the likes of EA, Activision and other publishers and developers usually do, and took the money and run. But they didn't. They started to work hard to patch and update the living crap out of the game, gaining the respect of many in the industry and in the general public.

Since then the game had several big updates:

Foundation

Path Finder

Atlas Rises

Next. This was a big one. Added underwater stuff, multiplayer, freighter armadas, a graphical overhaul and loads of other stuff.

No Man’s Sky NEXT Trailer

Abyss

No Man's Sky - The Abyss Launch Trailer

Visions

NO MAN'S SKY: Visions Trailer (2018)

And all of these updates have been free

If you haven't got it yet and you think it might tickle your fancy it's currently on the Humble Bundle for 50% off, £19.99...linkage here:

Buy No Man's Sky from the Humble Store

I almost feel guilty buying it that cheap when they've done so much work on those updates for free. Almost.

I spend more time than is healthy in Elite Dangerous as it is, I'll probably end up starving to death once I start playing No Man's Sky lol

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:19:40 Mobile | Show all posts
It's also half price on Steam at the moment until 21 August. Bought in anticipation!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:19:41 Mobile | Show all posts
Ooh, I think that’s a must bag! Bought it back in the day, and dismissed it pretty quickly. Ended up giving it to my nephew, although that was the PS4 version. Be very interesting to play it in VR.  Can’t remember, does it have a first-person option? Much prefer that to running about over someone’s shoulders.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:19:41 Mobile | Show all posts
Yup, it does have a first person option. Not sure about riding creatures though. Hope so cos that will be awesome in VR

I'm wondering whether these species have a set speed or if different individual creatures have a different speed. If they have different speeds then we can have races

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:19:41 Mobile | Show all posts
I picked this up due to VR support in the GMG sale a week or so back.  I always said i was not interested without VR.... now i am !

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:19:42 Mobile | Show all posts
So why would one play this instead of Elite?

Does it make good use of a HOTAS?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:19:42 Mobile | Show all posts
No HOTAS support, it's more of a game than a sim. The biggest draw of the game is the flora and fauna when landing on planets.

As soon as the update hits I'll let you guys know how it is.

Use magic Report

exploration for strange eye candy
base building
underwater stuff.
planets teaming with life
caves and overhangs
different sentient life to find and npcs to interact with

it will not replace ED for me, ED has the flight model, the more realistic visuals and the more "grounded" reality (if we accept FTL travel and hyperspace ) - or it was at launch at least - the believable bit of the game is being worn away but I digress.

NMS does have a lot of features i can now only dream of having in ED however, many of which i no longer think will ever come now TBH

Use magic Report

Download is in .. alas not booked a gaming night so watching a stranger things with Mrs instead. May have cheeky go when she goes to bed

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
So it looks like this has been a bit of a disappointment (again ). Controls and performance are awful.

One thing can be said for the NMS developers, they seem to come good in the end.

Use magic Report

12345678910Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部