Author: thesnowdog

The No Man's Sky VR Thread

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:19:47 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm getting a fair bit of reprojection with Textures set to Ultra, Shadows on Enhanced and everything else on High. Everything else is on default except for AA which I've turned off completely.

Thanks to the wonders of ASW 2.0 though the reprojection isn't too noticeable unless I move my head too quickly, and even then it's only noticeable with text.

My PC specs probably help: i7 6700K at stock speed, 32GB of DDR4 at 2133MHz and a 1080 at stock speed.

I would normally overclock everything but when I'm not gaming my PC is mining Monero 24/7.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:19:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Owe Microsoft a big thank you for basically all the post launch updates.  After the game made a massive number of people angry due to it being....not what was promised.  Microsoft paid Hello Games to port it to Xbox and paid handsomely.  Enough that they got the game to where it is today...and to think, this was a Sony project that they hyped and hyped then released broken and unfinished.

I can't wait to try the VR mode.  Have to wait till Monday though.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:19:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Specs in signature, similar to Mr Dog other than I have SLI (which is unused), my 6700K is overclocked to 4.6GHz, and my 32GB is clocked slightly higher at 2666MHz.

According to fpsVR, I'm mostly getting around 45fps (at least, that's where Steam is locking it) with the rare drop to 30fps. It's apparently reprojecting (without hideous motion smoothing), but honestly I'm not really noticing it at all. It feels mostly smooth to me, although I've yet to progress extensively in the game (just managed to get to the next planet). Time to go back in!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:19:48 Mobile | Show all posts
For those that haven't bought it yet Green Man Gaming have it at 54% off and you can get it for a further 12% off with the code AUGUST12, so 66% off altogether.

At that price it would be rude not to lol

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:19:48 Mobile | Show all posts
I tried it last night. perforamnce was still sub optimal, this was with both steamVR and open composite. I have not toyed with settings,just on enhanced so probably still doing 150% super sampling because i have it set to that at the driver level iirc............ but this is the only title which does not work flawlessly.

given i have a very overclocked 1080ti and 4.3ghz i7 5820k however it does not run as well as i would have hoped (my memory is possibly not the best infact it is underclocked but it is still quad channel 2800mhz which should be ok.  still really enjoyable when it works.  i found the wreckage of a massive spaceship and in VR it looked amazing.. only problem is it only draws it about 30m away so i could not find it again until it was literally on top of me.

Use magic Report

Considering the scale and ambition of this game, I don't think it will be a silky-smooth experience in VR for at least another two GPU generations plus another 3 CPU generations. I'm surprised it actually runs as well as it does at the moment on my modest hardware TBH.

After all the negativity on over-hyped release that made me completely avoid it, it's now turned into one of the most engrossing VR titles available. I just wish I had more time to play it!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
@ArmitageShanks Totally agree. I’m hooked. I’ve clocked up nearly 30hours already and don’t feel like Ive scratched the surface yet. I’ve been repairing my broken ship to unlock more slots which is an enjoyable grind.

The Index looks great and It’s the first headset I’ve owned where I don’t feel like taking off. Actually the only reason I stop playing sometimes is because my bum goes numb lol. But that’s only after a 4-5 session.

Performance wise I switched to the Beta branch  and the game look great and plays great even if it’s not hitting 90hz. I also switched the game to my M.2 drive to cut the loading times down.

Overall I was skeptical about NMS but now I think it’s a brilliant game which has improved greatly over time and will continue to get better over the coming weeks and months.

A must own VR title.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:19:49 Mobile | Show all posts
@Atmos Did switching to an nVME drive make a huge difference?

I'm currently running my entire Steam library from a SATA SSD, wouldn't have thought that random file accesses would make much difference if I switched to my M.2 drive (at least that's been the case in my previous testing). I actually get far better performance figures using the RAPID cache with my SATA SSD.

Use magic Report

I feel the same way about the game, awful at release but massive kudos to the devs for working on it.... however given this runs on a base PS4 i would expect the PC version to run better and indeed some people claim it runs fine, which suggests there is either a code issue somewhere only affecting some, or a setting i have on borking it.

@Atmos.... Beta branch.... this could be my issue... so all the patches i read about coming out with fixes to performance and what not..... are they all on the beta branch? in which case i may still be using the launch version as i have not opted into beta!.  (I was concerned about corrupting my save which is something which happens with for instance subnautica quite often)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I would say loading DCS on my M.2 drive made a huge difference. I’ve not timed it but I would say M.2 is 3 times faster over SSD with that particular title, the bars just fly up. I now put all my games on the M.2 and once I come to reinstall Windows I’ll put that on there too off the SSD.

When playing Onward I’m always first in the lobby since transferring to the M.2 and sometimes have to wait over 30 seconds for the host to catch up who must of been on a HDD. SSD guys arrive about 10 seconds after myself.

M.2 all the way apart from my photos which sit on a 3TB HDD.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部